- "I think after all my wanderings, I can recognize the description of a Jedi outpost when I hear it, Luke."
"I'm not questioning your expertise—I just didn't realize the Jedi ever had an official presence so far from the Core."
- ―Lor San Tekka and Luke Skywalker
Elphrona was a rocky planet in the Outer Rim Territories, on the edge of the Unknown Regions. It was home to an ancient High Republic Era Jedi outpost used as a treasure trove for a number of artifacts. While attempting to rebuild the Jedi Order, the Jedi Master Luke Skywalker visited the outpost with the explorer Lor San Tekka and his own student, Ben Solo. After escaping the destruction of Skywalker's Jedi temple and intending to join the dark side organization known as the Knights of Ren, Solo was tracked to Elphrona by Hennix, Tai, and Voe, three of Skywalker's students who survived. In the resulting duel, Hennix was killed, and Solo escaped, leaving Tai and Voe trapped in the ruins of the Jedi outpost.
- "You're sure about this, Lor?"
"As sure as I can be. My contact told me a great deal about the location."
- ―Luke Skywalker and Lor San Tekka
Located on the edge of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories, near the Unknown Regions, Elphrona was a terrestrial planet with rocky terrain. An ore world, Elphrona's terrain consisted of iron hills, as well as cliffs and mountains. It had an atmosphere that was breathable to several species, including humans, but had harsh conditions. Some regions of the planet were magnetized in such a way as to make air travel impossible in those areas, and the powerful magnetic field lines underlying this phenomena were a major factor in the formation of the planet's distinct topography. Rust storms were a known weather phenomenon. Locals considered any natural precipitation to be an exceedingly rare event, with as long as a decade between rains. However Elphrona had at least some natural bodies of water located in underground reservoirs and lakes far below its mineral rich surface.
- "It's probably High Republic Era. It was a time of greatly expanded Jedi activity throughout the galaxy."
- ―Lor San Tekka
During the High Republic Era, in a time of expanded Jedi activity throughout the galaxy, Elphrona was visited by the Jedi Order, who constructed an outpost within the side of a cliff. The Jedi used the outpost as a treasure trove, storing a number of artifacts within. The Jedi Master Loden Greatstorm was stationed at the outpost with his Padawan, Bell Zettifar, working to keep the peace. Zettifar owned a pet charhound named Ember while on Elphrona, and often enjoyed wandering the planet's hills with the creature.
New Republic Era
- "It was on the planet where we first met. Where you fought Luke Skywalker."
"How can I forget?"
"I went back there to see if I could find a path to you and the other Knights, but I was followed somehow. By three Jedi. Students of Luke Skywalker."
- ―Ben Solo and Ren
Many years later, after the fall of the Jedi Order and during Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's attempt at restoring it, he visited Elphrona alongside his student, Ben Solo, and the explorer Lor San Tekka, who had learned of the planet and its outpost. At the same time, the Knights of Ren, a dark side organization led by the mysterious "Ren," also entered the Jedi outpost, hoping to steal the artifacts for themselves. Skywalker, intending to retrieve the artifacts for his new Jedi Order, encountered the Knights within the outpost. Skywalker confronted the Knights, refusing to allow them to take the artifacts. The Jedi Master managed to defeat the Knights of Ren, whose leader agreed to leave, but not before attempting to tempt Solo to turn to the dark side and join them.
In 28 ABY, after witnessing the destruction of Skywalker's Jedi temple and believing he had killed Skywalker, Solo, in search of the Knights of Ren, returned to the Jedi outpost on Elphrona. He put on the mask of Ren, who had left it in the outpost for Solo to eventually find. Communicating with Ren through the mask, Solo was instructed to go to the Mid Rim world Varnak. However, before he could leave, he was confronted by Hennix, Tai, and Voe, three of Skywalker's former students who had survived the destruction of the temple.
Defending himself from his attackers, who believed he was responsible for the temple's destruction, Solo began to duel his former fellow students. Solo leapt to the top of a cliff, where he was followed by Voe. Driven by anger, Solo attempted to Force push Voe off of the cliff, and was attacked by Hennix, who threw his lightsaber at Solo. In attempting to deflect the lightsaber, Solo killed Hennix, and subsequently chose to leave the other two students alive, trapping them inside the Jedi outpost and collapsing it on top of them. Solo departed Elphrona, heading for Varnak, where he met up with Ren and the Knights of Ren.
- "Well, that's impressive."
"I agree. Well preserved, and the entrance looks intact. This could be quite a find."
- ―Luke Skywalker and Lor San Tekka, on the Elphrona Jedi outpost
Elphrona was home to an ancient outpost of the Jedi, which had stood since the time of the High Republic. The outpost was partially destroyed when Ben Solo collapsed the ruins to trap Tai and Voe inside.
Behind the scenes
Elphrona first appeared in the comic book The Rise of Kylo Ren 2, which was written by Charles Soule, illustrated by Will Sliney, and published by Marvel Comics on January 8, 2020. In issue 13 of Soule's comic book series Star Wars, the planet Tempes is mistakenly referred to as Elphrona.
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars (2020) 13 (Erroneous mention)
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2 (First appearance)
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 3
- Star Wars Galaxy of Creatures – "Charhound"
- The Star Wars Book
- "Luke Skywalker" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Kylo Ren and Other Dark Side Followers" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and references
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 3
- According to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary, the Jedi Temple of Luke Skywalker was destroyed six years before the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, since the events of The Rise of Kylo Ren 1 are set immediately after the temple's destruction, it can be deduced that the story takes place in 28 ABY.
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 1
- Star Wars (2020) 13