The Emergences were a series of disasters that occurred in the aftermath of the Great Disaster, in which the freighter Legacy Run came apart in hyperspace while maneuvering to avoid a Nihil starship, with numerous fragments of its wreckage entering the Hetzal system at near-lightspeed. A combined effort of the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order headed by Jedi Master Avar Kriss managed to prevent a majority of the damage at Hetzal. However, further fragments of the wreckage continued to emerge from hyperspace across the Outer Rim Territories. The first Emergence occurred in the Ab Dalis system, with approximately twenty million people killed when a fragment struck the planet Ab Dalis. As a result of the disasters, Supreme Chancellor Lina Soh enacted closures of hyperspace routes throughout the Outer Rim. With a navidroid array created by Keven Tarr, the Republic was able to predict the locations of future Emergences, recovering the flight recorder of the Legacy Run to determine what had caused the initial disaster.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Emergences were created for the Star Wars: The High Republic publishing initiative. They were first mentioned in the short story "STET!," written by Daniel José Older and published in the collection From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back in 2020 and later appeared in the novel The High Republic: Light of the Jedi, written by Charles Soule and published on January 5, 2021. The first visual depiction of the Emergences was in the comic The High Republic Adventures 1, written by Older, illustrated by Harvey Tolibao, and published by IDW Publishing on February 3, 2021.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (First appearance)
- The High Republic Adventures 1 (First pictured)
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage (Mentioned only)
- "STET!"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (First mentioned)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The Star Wars Book places the launch of the Starlight Beacon, depicted in The High Republic: Light of the Jedi, to 232 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that A New Hope begins in 0 BBY, the events of Light of the Jedi, including the Emergences, must be set in 232 BBY.
- "STET!"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- The High Republic Adventures 1