The Emergency Powers Act or EPA was an amendment to the Galactic Constitution passed in 24 BBY. It eliminated term limits for Supreme Chancellors, giving each Chancellor the option of when to stand down for new elections. The act also granted powers for chancellors to make instant decisions without the need for full senate approval, giving Palpatine all necessary authority to attempt to end the Separatist Crisis, including declaration of martial law on local systems.
The senate granted Palpatine special powers for the duration of the emergency, yet Palpatine himself was the only person who had the authority to declare the emergency over.
- Labyrinth of Evil (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith novelization (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith unabridged audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- The New Essential Chronology (Indirect mention only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Jar Jar Binks (★★★★★))