- "…while the fanatical Grand Admiral Il-Raz committed suicide by plunging his flagship into the heart of the Denarii Nova."
- ―The Essential Chronology
The Emperor's Disciple was a Star Destroyer in the Imperial Navy that served as the personal flagship of the Imperial Grand Admiral Ishin-Il-Raz. Seeking the approval of Emperor Palpatine following his appointment to the rank in 2 BBY, Il-Raz commanded several successful missions from the bridge of the Emperor's Disciple, including the Massacre of Myomar and the bombardment of Shalam.
When Palpatine was killed at the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Il-Raz spiralled into a suicidal depression. Eight months later, the grand admiral acted on his emotions, flying the Emperor's Disciple into the firestorm of the Denarii Nova, killing all 37,000 people aboard, including himself. His death was later referenced in The Essential Chronology, a historical document compiled by the New Republic.
Behind the scenes
The Emperor's Disciple was first indirectly mentioned in the 2000 reference book The Essential Chronology, written by Kevin J. Anderson and Daniel Wallace, as the flagship of Grand Admiral Il-Raz. The 2003 article "Who's Who: Imperial Grand Admirals," also written by Wallace along with Abel G. Peña, and published in Star Wars Insider 66, was the first source to name the ship. Wallace and Peña originally wrote an article about the grand admirals for Star Wars Gamer, which identified the Emperor's Disciple as an Imperial-class Star Destroyer, but the article was unpublished due to Star Wars Gamer's cancellation.
- The Essential Chronology (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- "Who's Who: Imperial Grand Admirals"—Star Wars Insider 66 (First identified as Emperor's Disciple)
- The New Essential Chronology (Indirect mention only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia