- "Today is Empire Day, celebrating the fifteenth anniversary of the galaxy's salvation, when our great Emperor Palpatine ended the Clone Wars and founded our glorious Empire."
- ―Imperial Holonet anchorman Alton Kastle
Empire Day was the day that Sheev Palpatine declared himself Emperor of the First Galactic Empire, bringing an end to the Clone Wars as well as the Republic in 19 BBY. Following that year, Empire Day became a holiday marking the anniversary of the rise of the Empire. Festivities of the holiday included a parade on various Imperial-controlled planets, the playing of the Imperial anthem, "Glory of the Empire," as well as the airing of Palpatine with two Royal Guards at the Imperial Senate, but the footage used made the Emperor seem younger and more physically appealing than he actually was at the time of the speech. Attendance to the festivities was mandatory. On Coruscant, the holiday was the cap to a week of festivities known as Ascension Week.
Behind the scenes
The term Empire Day was derived from a holiday within the United Kingdom and extended throughout the countries of the Commonwealth, celebrating the anniversary of the British Empire's formation between 1902 and 1958. Coincidentally, the holiday fell on May 20, which was also the day of the UK's premiere of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, which resulted in a "revival" of the holiday of sorts.
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Revenge of the Sith Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch – "Aftermath"
- Darth Vader (2017) 16 (HoloNet image) (In flashback(s))
- Ahsoka audiobook
- "The Voice of the Empire" – Star Wars Insider 170
- Thrawn audiobook
- Star Wars Rebels webcomic
- Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day" (First identified as Empire Day)
- Path of the Jedi: A Star Wars Rebels Cinestory Comic
- Star Wars Rebels – "Gathering Forces"
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice (Mentioned only)
- "Assessment"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine 11 (Mentioned only)
- Leia Organa: Ordeal of the Princess (In flashback(s))
- Crimson Reign 3 (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. Emperor Palpatine - Rise to Evil" (In flashback(s))
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath audiobook (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Duel of Destiny" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber"