- "More power, Ensign! You've got to give me more receiving power!"
- ―Leia Organa
This rank was the lowest officer line rank used by the Imperial Navy and ranked below Junior Lieutenant. Ensigns held a position of midshipmen. The rank was the equivalent of Imperial Army Officer, Starfighter Corps Flight Officer, and Engineering Division Officer.
Ensigns typically were given supervisory positions over enlisted crew, however they were too junior to actually have a command billet. Ensigns also could not take command of any situation, unless in the absence of a lieutenant or other superior officer. Persons of this rank were typically assigned as watch officers, military aides, envoys or even bodyguards for various higher-ranking officers such as admirals. Ensigns also sometimes led ground missions, leading a vessel's complement of troopers on whatever task needed doing.
During off-duty hours, or when in hyperspace, an ensign could be given command of a warship, primarily to test their abilities, but also to give the regular officers some time off. When the captain or another higher-ranking officer judged them ready, the ensign would be promoted the next appropriate grade, and continue on their career path.
- The Last Command Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 5 (THR4, Grand Admiral Thrawn)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Rebel Ensign)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Imperial Ensign)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Cariso Smadis)
- Suns of Fortune
Notes and referencesEdit
- Ensign on Wikipedia