- "I believe that the Jedi should, at all times, present to the many peoples of the galaxy a way of life centered on peace. We must show them the way."
- ―Ephru Shinn
Ephru Shinn was a Mon Calamari female who served on the Jedi High Council in 232 BBY. She participated in a debate about Jedi interference in military matters regarding the Nihil threat, where she opined that as Jedi involvement in such matters had only ever complicated such situations, it was important to keep the peace in the galaxy. Jedi Master Yarael Poof disagreed with Shinn, noting that justice was just as important as peace, but the Mon Calamari did not back down on her argument.
- "Why are we talking about history? We should be concerned with now, not old empires or victories or defeats. What is our role in this Republic, in this precise moment?"
- ―Ephru Shinn
Ephru Shinn was a Mon Calamari female member of the Jedi Order during the High Republic Era. She was selected by Yoda as a temporary replacement on the Jedi High Council while the ancient Jedi Master went on a sabbatical from Council matters.
When the Council convened to discuss the threat of the Nihil in 232 BBY, the Mon Calamari countered her colleagues, among them Oppo Rancisis and Yarael Poof, who had been discussing Jedi military history. She instead raised a hand and told the Council to focus on the present and on ensuring peace in the galaxy. However, Shinn's argument of maintaining peace was brought into question by Poof, who felt that justice was as essential an ideal as peace to the Jedi.
Shinn further spoke of her belief that past Jedi interventions in galactic governance and military matters only ever complicated matters. Jedi Grandmaster Lahru then rhetorically asked whether the Jedi should refrain from interfering in galactic military affairs if only for simplicity's sake, reminding the Mon Calamari that the galaxy was not a simple place. The debate went on, and the matter of including Jedi in a mission against the Nihil was voted on; the result was in support of having Jedi aid the mission, with six council members supporting and five opposing.
Personality and traits
- "I do not believe there has ever been a single instance of the Jedi getting involved in military matters of galactic government that has generated anything but endless complexity."
- ―Ephru Shinn
Ephru Shinn felt strongly that the Jedi should strive to present a peace-centered way of life and that it was important to focus on the role of the Jedi in the present-day Republic instead of on ancient history. She even pushed back to Master Poof's argument that peace required justice alongside it, maintaining that the only thing Jedi involvement in military matters achieved was more complications.
Behind the scenes
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (First appearance, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook) (Appears in hologram)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook (Appears in hologram)
Notes and references
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The Star Wars Book dates the launch of the Starlight Beacon, which is depicted as part of the events of The High Republic: Light of the Jedi, to 232 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 232 BBY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As such, the rest of the novel's events must also occur around 232 BBY.