Escalation, or elevation, was a ceremony of promotion among the Yuuzhan Vong. When a Yuuzhan Vong earned the right to be escalated, they would sacrifice a limb, which the shapers would then replace with that of a creature native to Yuuzhan'tar. If the ceremony was successful, then that Yuuzhan Vong was favored by the gods, and allowed to advance. But if the priests found a flaw or the implant was rejected, the Yuuzhan Vong was then declared a Shamed One, and passed to the lowest levels of society.
While it was believed that rejection was because of the gods' anger, in truth it was the incompetence of the shaper who performed the escalation. However, on certain occasions, a shaper would intentionally cause an implant rejection, as was done by a Master Shaper Mezhan Kwaad to her former lover Vua Rapuung.
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)