- "What Episode I star has been called 'the biggest thing out of Scotland since argyle socks'?"
- ―An Episode I preview question from Star Wars Trivial Pursuit indicating Ewan McGregor
- "George Lucas wanted to do something very different with the prequels. That's why people felt cheated. It was upsetting when people would laugh and joke about it. Now, many years later, the prequels meant a lot to the generation that were kids then. So from smirking, cynical opinions, now I'm getting feedback from the kids they were made for. I'm really happy about that."
- ―Ewan McGregor on the prequel trilogy
Ewan McGregor was born on March 31, 1971. He grew up in Crieff, Scotland. At five years old, McGregor joined his brother Colin at the local boarding school, Morrison's Academy. At school, he developed musical talent, playing drums and winning an award for the French horn. He could also sing quite well. He had a talent for acting also, and his first credit came along at six years old as King David in Crieff South Church's David and Goliath. His biggest inspiration for acting came in the form of Denis Lawson, Ewan's uncle. Lawson portrayed Rebellion pilot Wedge Antilles in all three episodes of the original trilogy.
Since the news about the sequel trilogy was announced, he expressed interest in coming back to the series if asked to. He made a brief audio appearance in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens as Kenobi's voice calling out to Rey in her Force-induced visions.
On August 23, 2019, it was announced at D23 that McGregor would be reprising his role as Kenobi in Obi-Wan Kenobi on the Disney+ streaming service. The series is set ten years after the events of Revenge of the Sith. The series was originally going to start streaming on May 25, 2022. On March 21,2022, McGregor announced that the premiere would be pushed back to May 27,2022, and the first two episodes would premiere together.
|1999||The Phantom Menace||Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2002||Attack of the Clones||Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2005||Revenge of the Sith||Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2015||Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens||Voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2019||"Yoda vs Count Dooku – Size Matters Not"||Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures||Voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2019||"Jedi vs. Sith - The Skywalker Saga"||Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures||Voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2019||Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker||Voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2022||"Episode 1"||Obi-Wan Kenobi||Obi-Wan Kenobi, Executive Producer|
|2017||The Phantom Menace Read-Along Storybook and CD||Voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2017||Attack of the Clones Read-Along Storybook and CD||Voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi|
|2017||Revenge of the Sith Read-Along Storybook and CD||Voiced Obi-Wan Kenobi|
- Star Wars Insider 41
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- "50 Things to Notice in Star Wars: The Force Awakens" – Star Wars Insider 165
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- "Launchpad" – Star Wars Insider 200
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition
- "Launchpad" – Star Wars Insider 204
- "Launchpad" – Star Wars Insider 206
- "Launchpad" – Star Wars Insider 207
- "Launchpad" – Star Wars Insider 208
- "Launchpad" – Star Wars Insider 209
- "Launchpad" – Star Wars Insider 210
Notes and references
- Star Wars Year By Year: A Visual History, Updated and Expanded Edition
- Star Wars Trivial Pursuit
- James Hatfield. Ewan McGregor: Rising to the Stars. Berkley Boulevard, 1999. ISBN 0-425-16900-6. ""Lawson, who played the only other X-wing pilot besides Luke Skywalker to battle the Empire's dark forces and survive, was Ewan's uncle.""
- Revenge of the Sith DVD disc two