- "Exegol does not appear on any star chart. But legend describes it as the hidden world of the Sith."
Exegol (also spelled Ixigul in ancient texts) was a dark desert planet located within the Unknown Regions that, according to legend, was the hidden world of the Sith. It was occupied by the Sith Lord Darth Sidious and the Sith Eternal by 35 ABY. It was also the birthplace of Supreme Leader Snoke, whom Sidious created to rule the First Order while concealing himself in the shadows. Exegol was used to hide the Sith Eternal fleet amassed by Sidious and the Sith Eternal, from where they planned to deploy the Sith fleet and establish a New Empire. Exegol was the site of a battle during the war between the First Order and the Resistance, which saw the defeat of the Sith loyalists.
Exegol was a dark, barren, and rocky planet with desert flats. Its dry conditions, combined with the rubbing of dust particles in its atmosphere, created enormous static discharges that appeared as lightning strikes from the planet surface. The desolate world was covered with enormous fissures that reached deep into its crust. These were excavated by Sith loyalists who were attempting to reach a vergence they believed to lie beneath the surface.
As mentioned by the Jedi writer Kli the Elder in the Rammahgon, Exegol (or Ixigul, as Kli wrote it) once had a fertile environment, until the Sith established their presence there and lay waste to the planet just as they did with Korriban, Ziost and Asog.
Exegol was one of the oldest Sith bastions, dating back to about a thousand years prior to the fall of the Galactic Republic. Under the Sith, the Sith Citadel was built on Exegol for meetings and rituals to be conducted within, and Sith loyalists excavated the world's large and deep planetary fissures in hopes of reaching a vergence believed to lie beneath the planet surface.
By the era of the Galactic Empire, the last Sith Lords, Darth Sidious and Darth Vader, possessed the only two wayfinders leading the way to Exegol. After Sidious' death at the Battle of Endor, the Sith Eternal cult chose Exegol as their base because it was completely hidden from even the most studious of galactic historians, some of whom knew about Korriban/Moraband and the other Sith worlds.
The Sith loyalists then proceeded to construct a massive fleet of warships. This was comprised of hundreds of Xyston-class Star Destroyers, which were intended for the Sith's reconquest of the galaxy. As threats of their return to the wider galaxy loomed, the Resistance mustered its forces and fought a desperate battle against the Sith. Ultimately, with the help of the galaxy fleet, the Resistance was able to destroy the Sith Star Destroyers and kill Emperor Darth Sidious.
Behind the scenes
In the feature-length documentary The Skywalker Legacy, art director Rick Carter mused that Exegol may have been the place where the Sith Order was born. Canonically, the Sith originated from Moraband, per the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Destiny".
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 4
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- The Rise of Skywalker Adaptation 1
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- ↑ The Skywalker Legacy
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destiny"