- "Into exile I must go. Failed I have."
- ―Yoda, after failing to defeat Darth Sidious
Exile was a form of punishment or penance used by numerous beings across the galaxy in which the punished were banished from society. However, not all cases of exile were in the form of punishment. Jedi Master Yoda went into self-imposed exile on Dagobah after he failed to defeat the Sith Lord, Darth Sidious who was directly responsible for the near extinction of the Jedi Order. After his duel with Darth Vader on Mustafar, Obi-Wan Kenobi, entered self-imposed exile on Tatooine to watch over and protect Vader's secret son, Luke. Many Jedi who survived Order 66 and the Jedi Purge went into exile to escape the Galactic Empire and their Inquisitors.
The Chiss known as Thrawn claimed to have been exiled by his own people, but secretly engineered matters with their aid to create the appearance of this, in order to gain acceptance into and study the Galactic Empire.
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: New Edition
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi