- "Into exile I must go. Failed I have."
- ―Yoda, after failing to defeat Darth Sidious
Exile was a form of punishment or penance used by numerous beings across the galaxy in which the punished were banished from society. However, not all cases of exile were in the form of punishment.
- "...he lives in the Outer Rim, in exile."
- ―Mother Talzin tells Opress about his long-lost brother Maul
At the end of the Mandalorian Civil War, those who continued to embrace the Mandalorian warrior culture were exiled to the moon of Concordia. Concordia's governor, Pre Vizsla of Clan Vizsla, would reorganize these Mandalorians into Death Watch with the intent of retaking Mandalore from the New Mandalorians.
After his defeat at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi during the Battle of Naboo, the Sith Lord Darth Maul was abandoned and entered exile on the junk world of Lotho Minor until his brother Savage Opress discovered and rescued him. Maul would be brought to Dathomir, where Mother Talzin restored his sanity as well as giving her son new cybernetic legs. Soon after, he and his brother would ally themselves with Vizsla and the exiled warriors of Death Watch.
At the end of the Clone Wars, Jedi Master Yoda went into self-imposed exile on Dagobah after he failed to defeat the Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, who was directly responsible for the near extinction of the Jedi Order. After his duel with Darth Vader on Mustafar, Obi-Wan Kenobi, entered self-imposed exile on Tatooine to watch over and protect Vader's secret son, Luke. Many Jedi who survived Order 66 and the Great Jedi Purge went into exile to escape the Galactic Empire and their Inquisitors.
The Chiss known as Thrawn claimed to have been exiled by his own people, but secretly engineered matters with their aid to create the appearance of this, in order to gain acceptance into and study the Galactic Empire.
After his failure to train a new generation of Jedi, Luke Skywalker went into self-exile on the planet Ahch-To, shutting himself off from the Force and intending to spend his last days marooned and alone. A year later, his apprentice Rey intended to replicate the feat, but was convinced by the Force spirit of her master to instead continue the fight against the First Order.
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27 (Databank A-Z: InterGalactic Banking Clan–Jakku)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 28 (Databank A-Z: Queen Jamillia–Jedi Temples)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 72 (Highlights of the Saga: Luke's Journey in the Force)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection
- Star Wars Bust Collection 1 (Star Wars Universe: Darth Vader)
- Star Wars - The Official Magazine 101 (Database: Before the dark times…)
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker