- "The cave is collapsing!"
"This is no cave!"
- ―Leia Organa and Han Solo
Biology and appearanceEdit
Space slugs reached full maturity at ten meters and reproduced by splitting into two smaller, separate bodies. If a space slug was incapable of this process, its growth continued uninterrupted, potentially reaching lengths of 900 meters. Slugs of this size were known to swallow starships whole and house entire ecosystems.
Often living in asteroid fields, space slugs would burrow into an asteroid until completely hidden. From there, they fed on stellar energy emissions, mineral-rich deposits from the asteroid, floating space debris, and other silicon-based creatures, such as mynocks. Largely dormant, the opportunistic feeder could lunge upon passing ships. However, doing so used up all of its energy, exhausting it.
After the Battle of Hoth, the Millennium Falcon, unable to jump to lightspeed, due to its damaged hyperdrive, fled pursuing TIE fighters by hiding inside what they believed to be the crater of a large asteroid; in reality, the maw was a giant space slug, where they also tried to repair the Falcon's hyperdrive. While sitting in the cockpit, Leia Organa was disturbed by a mynock, and she stepped outside with Han Solo and Chewbacca to investigate. When shots were fired, the space slug lurched: Solo, realizing where they actually were, ordered everyone back in and flew the Falcon out before the space slug closed its mouth. The space slug emerged and snapped its jaws at the Falcon, but the freighter was too fast so the slug receded into the crater.
Behind the scenesEdit
The exogorth first appeared in the 1980 original trilogy film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. Concept art of it was made by Ralph McQuarrie. The exogorth was identified in the 2015 reference book Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Zander's Joyride"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (First identified as Exogorth)
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 6 (Highlights of the Saga: Peril in the Asteroid Field)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars Day-at-a-Time Calendar 2020
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Rebellion in the Rim
- Star Wars: Creatures Big & Small