- "Direct action is not always the best way; it is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever."
The eye was the primary visual organ of most biological lifeforms, comparable to the photoreceptors used by droids and cyborgs.[source?] The outer coat enclosing the eyeball was referred to as the sclera.
Most sentient species in the galaxy fared with a set of two eyes, most notably Humans. There were some exceptions to this. Three-eyed species included the Gran, Kobok, and the Ubuugan. Four-eyed species including the Emente, the Talz, Hysalrians, the Ualaq subspecies of Aqualish, the T'surr, Annoo-dat Prime, Nalrithians, and another four-eyed species. Six-eyed species included the Harch.
In most species, the eye worked by directing light onto the optic nerve by means of a lens, and was protected by an eyelid designed to remove foreign objects and shade against bright lights.[source?] There were many variations, from the subtly degraded night-vision of the local Human population of Hapes, through the night-vision enhancing glowing red eyes of the Chiss, to the multi-faceted eyes of Rodians, the infrared vision of species like the Barabels, the eyes of the Ssi-ruuk with their sensitive retinae and highly-evolved eyelids,[source?] and the exotic visual perceptions of the spacegoing Oswaft.
There were also species like the Miraluka, who lost their eyes in the course of their evolution, depending instead on the Force, and the Shaper caste of the Yuuzhan Vong species, who had bred several species of highly sophisticated creatures called mqaaq'it to serve as symbiotic artificial eyes. Yuuzhan Vong had eye sacks under their eyes.
The photosensitive cilia on the Cloak of Nuun, another Yuuzhan Vong biot, were perhaps among the most exotic organic eyes known. Tiny membranes covering the creature's entire surface, they saw the immediate area with near-perfect accuracy from every angle, enabling the cloaker to disguise itself, chameleon-like, against its surroundings.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- Boba Fett ½
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars Gamer 9
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Jedi Quest comic
- Star Wars: Jango Fett
- Star Wars Gamer 5
- Wanted by Cracken
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Cracken's Threat Dossier
- Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- Emissary of the Void
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith