- "Fireships to the left and the right."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
The F-143, also known as a Coruscant fire suppression ship, emergency firespeeder, emergency fire suppression speeder, firespeeder, or fireship (also phrased fire ship), was a model of speeder utilized for fire suppression.
Details[edit | edit source]
The F-143 emergency firespeeder was a fire suppression ship manufactured by Rothana Heavy Engineering. Designed to provide essential disaster relief, these speeders carried several fire-retardant agents including tanks of water and foam on the ship's undercarriage. These fire-fighting solutions were released through pressurized dousers mounted to the vehicle's four wingtips.
A tractor beam projector was fitted below the heat-resistant cockpit to shift debris during emergencies. The interior was equipped with a medical bay where crewmembers could treat serious injuries quickly, and the exterior featured flashing emergency lights.
The ship was equipped with water spray, foam spray, fire retardant and agents.
History[edit | edit source]
- "—Get the dousers on it!"
"We need more help here, mobilize all the fire teams!"
- ―Fire teams during the attack on Naboo
Several fireships were mobilized in an attempt to put out the flaming wreck of the Invisible Hand as it crash-landed on Coruscant, at the conclusion of the Battle of Coruscant. Fire crews followed the wreck down to an airstrip landing, dousing flames on the hull with their dousers.
The Royal House of Naboo also maintained fire teams, who were mobilized during the Imperial Operation: Cinder following the Battle of Endor. The teams' dousers were brought to bear on the fires caused by typhoon-strength storms.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "When the ship [the Invisible Hand] crashes, there can be fireships pouring foam on it."
- ―George Lucas, at a meeting with artists working on Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings (First identified as emergency fire suppression speeder)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Shattered Empire 3
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 28 (Helmets: Coruscant Emergency Crew; Highlights of the Saga: Crash Landing on Coruscant)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (First identified as F-143)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition