- "In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire! For a safe and secure society."
- ―Darth Sidious
About 1000 years before the Invasion of Naboo, the Jedi and the Sith were at war with each other. The Sith were eventually defeated when their greed for power caused them to turn on each other, which allowed the Jedi to defeat the weakened Sith. The Sith however were all but destroyed as Darth Bane emerged as the sole Survivor. Realizing that the Sith's greed led to their demise, Bane decided that the Sith needed to operate in secret to get revenge. With that, he formed the Rule of two, which permitted only two Sith Lords could exist at any given time: a master to represent the power of the dark side of the Force, and an apprentice to train under the master and one day fulfill their role. Darth Bane took on an apprentice of his own, Darth Zannah, who was rumored to have had killed Bane on Ambria in a lightsaber duel,  his apprentice continued Bane's tradition.
Many years after Bane's rule was introduced, the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis took on an apprentice Darth Sidious, the Sith persona of Senator Sheev Palpatine of Naboo. Sidious eventually killed his master in his sleep when he had no use for him anymore.
As the Sith Lord, Sidious caused many conflicts in the galaxy, beginning with the Invasion of Naboo by the Trade Federation. He used this incident to get then Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum during the crisis to be voted out of office and replaced by Palpatine himself. Further governmental inaction and corruption ultimately led to the Separatist Crisis, in which thousands of worlds seceded from the Republic and formed a separate government, the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Tensions fostered between the two factions through the machinations of Sidious and his Sith apprentice, Count Dooku ultimately led to the outbreak of the pan-galactic Clone Wars in 22 BBY.
The Clone Wars raged for three years, during which the Republic became an increasingly militarized state in the name of order and security against the Separatist threat. Chancellor Palpatine, whose term was already extended due to the Separatist Crisis, remained in office for the duration of the conflict, all the while centralizing political and military authority in the Office of the Chancellor through the various wartime emergency powers granted to him by the Galactic Senate. After he and Dooku manipulated Rush Clovis and orchestrated the Separatist takeover of Scipio, another power given to Palpatine was control of the InterGalactic Banking Clan.
In the waning days of the Clone Wars in 19 BBY, the Separatists suffered a series of major defeats including the deaths of Dooku and General Grievous at the hands of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi respectively. Meanwhile, the Jedi High Council, who became increasingly wary of Palpatine due to his unprecedented wartime powers, discovered his identity as the enigmatic Sith Lord Darth Sidious. The Jedi's attempt to apprehend him ultimately failed and fostered Skywalker's fall to the dark side and rechristening as Sidious' new apprentice, Darth Vader. Vader was subsequently sent to participate in the Siege of the Jedi Temple. Simultaneously, Palpatine instituted Order 66 to the Grand Army of the Republic, beginning the initial part of the systematic destruction of the Jedi Order, as clone troopers executed their Jedi Generals across the galaxy.
With the Jedi Order decimated, Palpatine gave the proclamation of the New Order to an emergency session of the Galactic Senate, where he declared the Jedi enemies of the state, while transforming the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire, with himself as Galactic Emperor. At the same time, Vader destroyed the Separatist Council and deactivated the Droid Army, effectively ending the Clone Wars and cementing the return of the galaxy to the rule of the Sith.
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant"
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh: Star Wars Part the Second
- Revenge of the Sith: Episode III (LEGO Star Wars)
- William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Cast"
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A New Dawn
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty"
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir 1
- ↑ screenshot) (
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- ↑ Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III—Antilles)
- ↑ (Image 1 caption)
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- screenshot) (