- "Just before the Battle of Scarif, one of our Far Needle pilots encountered the Death Star near the jumping-off point to the Terrabe Bypass and captured a scan."
- ―Jan Dodonna, in a report to Mon Mothma
Far Needle was a starfighter unit within the Rebel Alliance. One of its pilots, operating under the callsign Far Needle Theta, was flying near the jumping-off point to the Terrabe Bypass to Jedha shortly before the Battle of Scarif and encountered an unidentified construct, which was in actuality, the Death Star, the Galactic Empire's planet-killing battle station.
Far Needle Theta was able to capture a scan, which was combined with data recorded by fleet sensors during the Battle of Scarif. In preparation, Colonel Anj Zavor established contact with Admiral Gial Ackbar and the remaining Alliance Fleet elements.
Sector Command General Jan Dodonna wrote a report to Commander-in-Chief Mon Mothma about Far Needle's data, Death Star scans, and fleet update, which was eventually included in The Rebel Files, a central data repository. After The Rebel Files were recovered on Durkteel in 34 ABY, Ackbar, now an admiral in the Resistance, wrote an annotation on the report, who wrote that he was shorthanded, behind schedule, under-equipped, and in no position to replace Rebel Admiral Raddus and bolster the Alliance Fleet, and was grateful that his own report was not included in The Rebel Files.
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Since The Rebel Files were buried on the same day as the Battle of Endor, which according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas takes place in 4 ABY, and because Star Wars: The Rebel Files establishes that The Rebel Files were rediscovered 30 years after the battle, it can be determined that The Rebel Files were uncovered in 34 ABY.