- "I wouldn't trust Jedi farsight all that much if I were you. The Emperor did a lot of that, too. It didn't help him much in the end…"
- ―Mara Jade
Farsight (also called clairvoyance, far sight or farseeing) was the ability to gain vague impressions of events happening in other places or times using the Force. These visions focused on strong imagery and emotions.
Jedi and Sith skilled in this technique were capable of detecting when friends and apprentices were in danger, examining details of past events, and predicting the probable outcome of a stated course of action. Farsight could also be applied to combat, allowing the practitioner to glimpse moves his opponent may make, as well as outside forces that might affect the battle. Sometimes, if the Jedi was in meditation for long enough, in farsight, their spirit could leave their body for a limited amount of time, making their spirit able to go where they please.[source?] This was used for reconnaissance in a hostile place.
Palpatine used this skill to discover that Darth Vader was in danger after his fight with Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. He also used it to set his traps for the Jedi, keeping himself several steps ahead. During a meeting aboard the Death Star, when Vader told Admiral Conan Antonio Motti to not place too much faith in the Death Star's capabilities and implied even its destructive power was insignificant compared to the power of the Cosmic Force, Motti insubordinately retorted that Vader's devotion to the Force didn't have him find the stolen Death Star plans while sarcastically referring to such as clairvoyance before Vader nearly choked him.
One of the first Force powers Yoda taught to the young Luke Skywalker was farseeing. He used this ability to sense that his friends were in danger on Bespin. Despite the advice of Yoda and the Force ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi, he decided to intervene.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, receiving a farseeing vision requires at least an hour of meditation, and can only be done once per week (although members of the Gand Findsman prestige class could use it as often as three times per day).
- Star Wars Word Puzzles (Indirect mention only)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (The Force, as "prognostication")
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (as Farseeing)
- The Star Wars Rules Companion (as Farseeing)
- Star Wars Gamemaster Kit (as Farseeing)
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen (as Farseeing)
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook (as Farseeing)
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim (as farseeing)
- Dark Empire Sourcebook (as Farseeing)
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (as Farseeing)
- The Last Command Sourcebook (as farseeing)
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition (as farseeing)
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition (as farseeing)
- "Smugglers of the Outer Rim"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5 (as farseeing)
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope, Second Edition (as farseeing)
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition (as farseeing)
- The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook (as farseeing)
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook (as farseeing)
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook (as farseeing)
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook (as farseeing)
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition (as farseeing)
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- The Sith Compendium"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game
- How the Other Half Hunts"—Star Wars Gamer 6 "
- Alien Anthology
- (As "Farseeing")
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- (As "Farseeing")
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Farsight)
- The Unknown Regions
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Legacy of the Force: Betrayal
- ↑ Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars 1
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back