- "Fennec Shand is an elite mercenary. She made her name killing for all the top crime syndicates, including the Hutts. If you go after her, you won't make it past sunrise."
- ―Din Djarin warns Toro Calican of Fennec Shand's reputation
Fennec Shand was a human female assassin and mercenary who worked for many of the top crime syndicates. After the New Republic locked up many of her employers, she went on the run and ended up on the planet Tatooine, where she was tracked down by two bounty hunters, Din Djarin and rookie Toro Calican. After she fired on the pair in the desert, they waited till nightfall then charged at her on speeder bikes, using flash charges to cover their approach.
Shand managed to shoot down Djarin's bike, but Calican reached her and the pair fought. Shand quickly defeated the inexperienced hunter, but he was saved by the arrival of Din Djarin, who forced the assassin to surrender at blaster point. With only one speeder bike left to carry them, the Mandalorian left to search for a dewback, while Calican guarded Shand. As they waited, she successfully convinced him to turn on the Mandalorian, who was also wanted by the Bounty Hunters' Guild; however, instead of freeing her as she had hoped, Calican shot and killed Shand, suspecting she would kill him once free.
On the runEdit
- "Fennec Shand, an Assassin. Heard she's been on the run ever since the New Republic put all her employers in lock down."
- ―Toro Calican
Fennec Shand was a human female who made a name for herself working as an elite mercenary and assassin for all of the top crime syndicates, including the Hutt Clan. By circa 9 ABY, she was on the run with a ten thousand credit bounty on her head after the New Republic arrested many of her former employers. She ended up on the planet Tatooine hiding out beyond the area of desert known as the Dune Sea.
In the desert, Shand killed a human bounty hunter who had been tracking her on a dewback. His corpse, still being dragged through the sand by his mount, was then discovered by two more bounty hunters on her trail, Din Djarin and the rookie Toro Calican. Calican hid behind a dune while Din Djarin approached the corpse to confirm if it was Shand or not. Shand, who was positioned on a ridge some distance away, then opened fire on the two hunters. She managed to hit Din Djarin twice in the back as he retreated toward the dune, but he survived due to his beskar armor.
- "Not so fast, Fennec."
- ―Calican confronts Shand
As Shand had the high ground, she waited for the bounty hunters to make the first move instead of trying to escape. Guessing her plan, Djarin and Calican waited till nightfall to make their approach. Once darkness had fallen, the two bounter hunters drove directly at Shand's location on a pair of speeder bikes. As the assassin prepared to fire, Djarin fired off a flash charge, blinding her and forcing her to remove her helmet. She then missed her first shot, and after Calican fired off another charge she missed again.
However, when Calico misfired his next flash charge, Shand was able to shoot out Djarin's bike from beneath him. The bounty hunter survived and fired off another flash charge to cover the last portion of Calican's approach, after which Shand shot Djarin in the chest and knocked him to the ground. As she prepared to kill Din Djarin downed, Calican announced himself behind her, allowing her to strike his weapon with a thrown blade and slow him long enough to attack. The rookie attempted to shoot her multiple times as she battled him unarmed, but he was unable to hit her and was quickly disarmed and defeated. As Shand began to crush the bones in Calican's neck, Djarin arrived and forced her to surrender at blaster point.
Underestimating a rookieEdit
- "You bring the Guild that traitor, and they'll welcome you with open arms. Your name will be legendary."
"How can we be sure he's the one?"
"Word is, he still has the target with him. Some say it's a child. Look, if you're afraid to take him on, fear not. I can help you with that."
- ―Shand and Calican discuss taking down Din Djarin
Din Djarin forced Shand to put on a pair of stuncuffs and the two hunters marched her down to their sole remaining speeder bike, which Shand mockingly pointed out would not carry all three of them. Djarin suggested that Calican go find the dewback they had seen earlier, but after the rookie refused to trust Din Djarin alone with both the bike and the bounty, the more experienced hunter set off to find it himself, leaving Shand and Calican alone together.
As the pair waited Tatooine's twin suns rose and Shand began attempting to convince Calican to work with her rather than the Mandalorian. At first she claimed to have a rendezvous in Mos Espa and offered to pay him double her bounty if he took her there instead of turning her in. When he claimed money did not interest him, she instead suggested he capture Din Djarin, as she had heard he had betrayed the Guild. She pointed out to Calican that claiming the bounty on a traitor would provide a far greater reputation boost than turning in her bounty and offered to help him subdue the other bounty hunter.
Calican appeared convinced and holstered his weapon, so Shand approached with her hands raised, expecting him to unlock the stuncuffs. Instead, Calican shot her in the stomach. As she collapsed to the ground dying, he pointed out that she would have simply killed him once he removed the cuffs, and with Din Djarin's bounty to claim, he no longer needed her. Calican then left her corpse in the desert, where it was eventually discovered by Din Djarin, who also left it in order to find and kill Calican, which he succeeded in doing. After Din Djarin had left Tatooine, another individual then approached the body in the desert.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "Take some advice kid. You wanna be a bounty hunter? Make the best deal for yourself and survive."
- ―Fennec Shand offers advice to Toro Calican
Shand was a skilled mercenary, with a reputation Din Djarin had heard of that made him hesitate in attempting to capture her. She was able to handily best Calican in combat, and later believed she had tricked him into freeing her by convincing him to turn on his partner, although Calican assumed she would betray him, costing the assassin her life. Prior to her death, she advised the rookie hunter that the best way to work as a bounty hunter to was make deals in your own best interest and ensure your survival. Shand had tan skin, brown eyes and black hair.
- "Sniper bolt. Only an MK-modified rifle could make that shot."
- ―Din Djarin notes Shand's weapon after being shot
Behind the scenesEdit
Fennec Shand appeared in Chapter 5 of Jon Favreau's 2019 Disney+ television series The Mandalorian, which aired on December 6, 2019. She was portrayed by Ming-Na Wen. The character was first revealed prior to the episode's release in an article on Vanity Fair on November 4, 2019. Shand's name was inspired by the Fennec fox. It was promised that a more detailed look at Shand's attire would be released, and, in celebration of Star Wars day, Wen released full body images of her costume on her Twitter account.
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Technology"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Score"
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Mandalorian is set about five years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 4 ABY. Therefore, the events of The Mandalorian must have taken place around 9 ABY. establishes that
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 The Mandalorian – "Chapter 5: The Gunslinger"
- ↑ The Mandalorian Media Kit. Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International. The Walt Disney Company. Archived from the original on February 3, 2020. Retrieved on February 3, 2020.
- ↑ Anthony Breznican (2019-11-4). First Look: Ming-Na Wen’s Star Wars Assassin From The Mandalorian. Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on November 4, 2019.
- Fennec Shand on Wikipedia
- First Look: Ming-Na Wen’s Star Wars Assassin From The Mandalorian (backup link)