- "She's a Firespray Pursuit Special…one of six prototypes manufactured for the prison. She's the last of her kind now."
- ―Jango Fett after "acquiring" Slave I
The Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft, or Firespray-class starship, or Firespray-class interceptor, was a patrol and transport starship designed by Kuat Systems Engineering initially for use by the Republic Correctional Authority. The most well known of the starships was Jango and Boba Fett's ship, the Slave I.
As a prisoner transport, the ship featured numerous holding cells and devices made for the most exotic of creatures. A trademark of the ship was that it landed horizontally with the drive engines facing the surface and the cockpit facing upward. To transition to normal flight mode, the ship rotated so that the cockpit faced forward while the drive engines faced rearward.
The stock ship was well armed and armored for its size, with on-board storage space and room for several passengers and/or cargo. Roughly as fast as Koensayr's Y-wing starfighter/bomber, the ship had more than enough speed and maneuverability to intercept smugglers and other renegades.
- "Torn one beat-up Firespray right down to the frame and rebuilt it—"
"A Firespray? I thought those ships were just legend!"
- ―Deliah Blue and Ona Antilles
Kuat Systems Engineering produced six prototypes shortly before the Battle of Naboo. However, all but one were destroyed when Jango Fett staged a prison break on Oovo IV. Jango kept the sole remaining Firespray, renaming it Slave I. Kuat Systems Engineering, suffering from the financial loss of the prototypes, eventually mothballed the project and concentrated instead on starship upgrades.
Many years later, K.S.E. found themselves on a more secure financial footing, and again desired to enter the starship market. The company then re-introduced the Firespray-class, hoping to build upon the reputation of the remaining prototype and its legendary pilot, Boba Fett. Fett would still be using the ship by the year 43 ABY.
The new Firesprays were, like the original prototypes, designated as patrol and attack ships and perfectly suited for law enforcement and interdiction missions. With Kuat Systems Engineering keen to expand the market for the ship, they had started to promote how easily the ship could be customized and upgraded to fulfill a myriad of roles.
At least ten were used by the Mandalorian Protectors during the Yuuzhan Vong War. By 137 ABY, these ships were legendary, but regarded as myth. During this time, Deliah Blue claimed that she once found and rebuilt one that was in such an advanced state of disrepair as to be falling apart.
- "The Way of the Warrior" — Star Wars Tales 18
- "Prey" — Star Wars Tales 11
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- Tag & Bink Are Dead
- Star Wars Infinities: The Empire Strikes Back
- "Fortune, Fate, and the Natural History of the Sarlacc" — Star Wars Tales 6
- The Return of Tag & Bink: Special Edition
- Star Wars Infinities: Return of the Jedi
Notes and references
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Most Wanted Expansion Pack (Card: Mandalorian Mercenary—Firespray-31)
- "Revenants" — Star Wars Tales 18
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Slave I Expansion Pack (Card: Bounty Hunter—Firespray-31)
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed
- Star Wars Galaxies: Rage of the Wookiees
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter