"First Contact" is a short story written by Timothy Zahn (with illustrations by Mike Vilardi) originally published in Star Wars Adventure Journal 1 in February 1994 and reprinted in The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, Issues 1-4 both by West End Games. Supplementary game information was provided by Peter M. Schweighofer. It was reprinted in the short story anthology Tales from the Empire published by Bantam Spectra in November 1997. It was published online at Hyperspace.
The story takes place in 8 ABY.
Plot summary[edit | edit source]
Smuggler Talon Karrde and his lieutenant Quelev Tapper travel to Varonat to investigate private Morodin-hunting safaris held by Gamgalon, a Krish. Karrde suspects that Gamgalon is up to something worth knowing about. Karrde fakes hyperdrive problems in order to stay on the planet long enough to take part in a safari. Before leaving on the safari, Karrde meets the hyperdrive mechanic working on his ship, Celina Marniss. Karrde immediately senses that there is more to her than meets the eye.
On the safari, Karrde and Tapper discover that Morodin are a sentient and peaceful species that are butchered during these safaris. Before they can escape, Karrde and Tapper are caught by Gamgalon and his crew. Gamgalon reveals that aleudrupe berries grown in soil rich with Morodin slime have specific chemical properties that allow them to serve as a catalyst in a synthesized blaster gas. The safaris are a mask for the planting and harvesting of the Yagaran aleudrupe plants.
Tapper attempts to fight his way out of the Krish trap, but is killed. Karrde survives when the hyperdrive mechanic, Celina Marniss, arrives in the jungle and kills all of the Krish. In return for saving Karrde's life, Marniss wants only one thing: a job. Karrde agrees and Marniss reveals her true name: Mara Jade.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, Issues 1-4
- Tales from the Empire
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- The Essential Atlas establishes a 12 month year, replacing the old 10 month year format established by West End Games. Grand Admiral Thrawn's raid on Obroa-skai from Heir to the Empire is dated at 44:4:15, and concurrently, Talon Karrde mentions that Mara Jade has been with his organization for five-and-half months. First Contact establishes that Tapper died on Varonat during the same encounter that saw Jade recruited by Karrde. Subtracting this figure from the date given for Obroa-skai yields a date of 43:11.
- Only appears in supplemental Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game information printed in Star Wars Adventure Journal 1 and The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, Issues 1-4
- "First Contact"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1