- C-3P0: "Aah! They fly now!"
- Finn: "They fly now?"
- Dameron: "They fly now."
- ―C-3P0, Finn and Poe Dameron, whilst being pursued by jet troopers on Pasaana[src]
First Order jet troopers, also known as rocket troopers, were a stormtrooper variant in the Stormtrooper Corps of the First Order. Unlike the standard trooper, who was mostly trained in ground operations, these specialists were trained in aerial combat.
"None defies the First Order!"
— First Order jet trooper in Star Wars Battlefront II
Like the Galactic Empire's jumptroopers, First Order jet troopers were specialized stormtroopers that were trained in aerial combat. One variant (hereby abbreviated to "variant I") was equipped with a standard stormtrooper helmet, a control box on their chest armor, F-11D blaster rifles, and jetpacks. This differed from Omicron Formation's jet troopers (variant II), who sported inscription in Aurebesh alongside red markings on their chest armor, with no control box. Another variant (variant III) was equipped a similar helmet with a dark colored jetpack with straps, and could operate in space environments. A fourth variant (variant IV) existed, where the helmet was distinctly different, and troopers of the variant operated with G125 projectile launchers and chest armor likened to the second variant's that was incorporated into the armor itself, rather than an external addition. Sith jet troopers employed by the Sith Eternal military were also of the same design and function, with the distinction of plating color, in which a Sith red and black theme was prevalent.
Jet troopers of the First Order were active during the cold war between the First Order and the New Republic and Resistance. During a mission to Ovanis undertaken by Resistance Commander Poe Dameron and his Black Squadron to locate Lor San Tekka for information on Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's location, First Order Agent Terex deployed multiple variant I jet troopers alongside flametroopers with unidentified flametrooper transports. Eventually, First Order forces were defeated.
Several variant III jet troopers were involved in the rescue of Lor San Tekka by the Resistance in the Great Forveen Nebula, where they captured San Tekka and attempted to bring him aboard a First Order Light Cruiser, though they were eliminated by a Resistance retrieval squad. During the First Order–Resistance war, variant IV jet troopers and 125-Z treadspeeder bikes were deployed in the skirmish on Pasaana, but they were ultimately defeated by Resistance forces.
Behind the scenesEdit
The First Order jet trooper first appeared in the 2016 comic book Poe Dameron 1, authored by Charles Soule. The troopers were first identified as "rocket trooper[s]" in the 2017 video game, Star Wars Battlefront II.
According to Lucasfilm Ltd.'s collections and exhibitions archivist Madlyn Burkert, the unique design of the jet trooper variant seen in Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker incorporates nods to unused Ralph McQuarrie designs for the snowtrooper for the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the death troopers of the 2016 Star Wars Anthology film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First identified as rocket trooper)
- Poe Dameron 1 (First appearance)
- Poe Dameron 2
- Poe Dameron 3
- Poe Dameron 25
- "Ghosts of Kashyyyk, Part 1"—Star Wars Adventures 27
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- (First identified as Jet trooper)
- Star Wars: Card Trader (Card: First Order jetpack trooper)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Ghosts of Kashyyyk, Part 1"—Star Wars Adventures 27
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Poe Dameron 1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Poe Dameron 25
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ Poe Dameron 3