- "None defies the First Order!"
- ―First Order jet trooper
First Order jet troopers, or simply jet troopers, were a stormtrooper variant in the Stormtrooper Corps of the First Order. Unlike the standard trooper, who was mostly trained in ground operations, these specialists were trained in aerial combat.
- C-3PO: "Aah! They fly now!"
- Finn: "They fly now?"
- Dameron: "They fly now."
- ―C-3PO, Finn, and Poe Dameron, whilst being pursued by jet troopers on Pasaana[src]
Like the Galactic Empire's jumptroopers, First Order jet troopers were specialized stormtroopers that were trained in aerial combat utilizing specialized armor and weaponry. They were each armed with a G125 projectile launcher and equipped with an NJP-900 integrated jetpack for aerial combat.
A fourth variant existed, where the helmet was distinctly different, and troopers of the variant operated with G125 projectile launchers and chest armor likened to the second variant's that was incorporated into the armor itself, rather than an external addition. Sith jet troopers employed by the Sith Eternal military had the same armor design and function, with the distinction of plating color, in which a Sith red and black theme was prevalent.
Jet troopers were active during the Cold War between the First Order and the Resistance. During a mission to Ovanis undertaken by Resistance Commander Poe Dameron and his Black Squadron to locate Lor San Tekka for information on Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's location, First Order Agent Terex deployed multiple jet troopers alongside flametroopers with unidentified flametrooper transports. Eventually, the First Order forces were defeated on Ovanis.
Several jet troopers were involved in the rescue of Lor San Tekka by the Resistance in the Great Forveen Nebula, where they captured San Tekka and attempted to bring him aboard a First Order Light Cruiser, though they were eliminated by a Resistance retrieval squad. During the First Order-Resistance War, jet troopers and 125-Z treadspeeder bikes were deployed in the mission to Pasaana, but they were ultimately defeated by Resistance forces.
Behind the scenes
The trooper first appeared in the 2016 Star Wars comic book Poe Dameron 1, authored by Charles Soule and illustrated by Phil Noto. They were first identified as "rocket trooper[s]" in the 2017 video game Star Wars Battlefront II, before receiving the name "First Order jet trooper" on StarWars.com's Databank in 2019.
According to Lucasfilm Ltd.'s collections and exhibitions archivist Madlyn Burkert, the unique design of the jet trooper variant seen in Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker incorporates nods to unused Ralph McQuarrie designs for the snowtrooper for the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the death troopers of the 2016 Star Wars Anthology film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First identified as rocket trooper and First Order Jet Trooper)
- Poe Dameron 1 (First appearance)
- Poe Dameron 2
- Poe Dameron 3
- Poe Dameron 25
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Rey and Friends vs. The First Order"
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "The First Order vs. The Resistance"
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- (First identified as jet trooper)
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (Set: 75250 Pasaana Speeder Chase)
- (First identified as First Order jetpack trooper)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- (First identified as First Order jet trooper)