Flamethrowers were weapons that fired streams or bursts of fire. Although they were often used as an anti-personnel weapon, as in the case of the wrist-mounted flamethrower owned by bounty hunter Jango Fett, some individuals, like the Dug podracer pilot Sebulba, mounted flamethrowers onto vehicles. Sebulba used his flamethrower as a weapon against other podracers to help him illegally win the Boonta Eve Classic.
Mandalorian warriors often integrated flamethrowers into their vambraces as one of their many anti-Jedi tools, as the flames could not be blocked by the single beam of a lightsaber, forcing the defender to either retreat or try to avoid the fire. A Force wielder with sufficient skill, strength in the Force and time to react could shield themselves from the flames with the Force, though this required considerable effort. Mandalorian plasma shields could also be used to defend against flamethrower attacks.
Flamethrowers were used by clone flametroopers during the Clone Wars and by Elite Squad Troopers at some point afterwards. during the Galactic Civil War by Imperial flametroopers and Rebel Alliance flame troopers, and during the Cold War and subsequent conflict by First Order flametroopers.
At the Boonta Eve Classic, Sebulba equipped his podracer with flame throwers. He use them as weapon against other podracers to help him win the the podrace. Bounty hunters such as Jango Fett and Cad Bane used flamethrowers against the Jedi.
During the Clone Wars, the clone flametroopers under Jedi General Ki-Adi-Mundi and Clone Commander CC-1993 "Jet" used flamethrowers against the native Geonosians at the Second battle of Geonosis. The Mandalorians, such as members of the Death Watch, the Mandalorian Guards, and the Mandalorian super commandos used flame throwers against their enemies. Dewback troopers made use of CR-24 Flame Rifles during the reign of the Galactic Empire.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Corruption"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 1: The Mandalorian"
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars Rebels – "Legacy of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Jedi Night"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Phantom Apprentice"
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir 1
- Star Wars: Legion – Dewback Rider Unit Expansion (Card: )
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 8: Redemption"