- "I, like you once did, identify as fleet admiral—but you seem to have taken the title 'Grand Admiral' for yourself."
- ―Fleet Admiral Gial Ackbar, to Grand Admiral Rae Sloane
Fleet Admiral was a high-ranked position in several navies in the galaxy, including the Imperial Navy and New Republic Defense Fleet. In the Imperial Navy, a fleet admiral was senior to an admiral and junior to a Grand Admiral. However, in the New Republic, the rank was the highest naval position which was in command of the entire starfleet.
Prior to 2 BBY, Sartan held the rank of Fleet Admiral, as well as Jok Donassius. Firmus Piett served as Fleet Admiral prior to the Battle of Endor. At some point after, the rank of Fleet Admiral was given to Gallius Rax, a friend of and close advisor to Emperor, Sheev Palpatine. After the death of Palpatine during the Battle of Endor, Rax promoted Admiral Rae Sloane to the position for her actions during the Rebellion on Akiva, but later promoted her again to Grand Admiral.
- Thrawn, Part IV
- Thrawn, Part V (Appears in hologram)
- Thrawn, Part VI (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- "Blade Squadron: Jakku"—Star Wars Insider 172 (Voice only)