The rank of Fleet Admiral was a naval rank used in several eras.
Within the Imperial Navy, Fleet Admiral was not a formal line rank but a position that could be held by Admirals or Vice Admirals. The title of Fleet Admiral was accorded to the commanding officer of a major fleet within a Sector Group. A Fleet Admiral answered directly to the High Admiral in charge of Navy operations within their Sector, who was normally the Moff of the sector. His own command might be a front-line Superiority fleet, an Assault fleet or Bombard fleet for planetary suppression operations, or a logistical Deepdock fleet or Support fleet. A Fleet Admiral was a very important member of the military hierarchy within a Sector, with authority over multiple systems forces commanded by subordinate systems admirals.
Behind the scenesEdit
The rank of Fleet Admiral is introduced in the Imperial Sourcebook for West End Games Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, but it is not clear whether it is to be understood as a formal rank, or a title denoting a certain sort of command: the other posts discussed in the same section include some that seem to be substantive ranks, most obviously Captain of the Line, but also others that are evidently positional titles, such as a ship's captain and an Admiral's adjutant. The example of Michael Unther, who was apparently a Fleet Admiral before achieving the substantive rank of Rear Admiral, adds weight to the hypothesis that "Fleet Admiral" was a title rather than a real rank; indeed, Unther's subsequent promotion to flag rank suggets that some Fleet Admirals were actually Line Captains or Commanders by rank.
A number of fan websites have speculated as to the rank insignia of Fleet Admirals, among which probably the most influential discussion is that at the Star Wars Technical Commentaries website (see here). More cautiously, it can be noted that the rank insignia worn by Admirals Ozzel and Piett as commanders of Death Squadron in The Empire Strikes Back are probably appropriate for a Fleet Admiral, with both men sharing the same insignia - six red squares over six blue, with two code cylinders on the left and one on the right; however, it is impossible to say whether this insignia was in any way specifically appropriate for a Fleet Admiral, or if it indicated some other substantive rank which both men held while commanding Death Squadron.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire (Mentioned only)
- MedStar I: Battle Surgeons (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka
- Allegiance (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- Scavenger Hunt (As "fleet admiral")
- Vision of the Future
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- The New Jedi Order: Ylesia (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- Dark Nest III: The Swarm War (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- Legacy of the Force: Betrayal (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest (As "fleet admiral")
- Legacy of the Force: Fury
- Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- X-Wing: Mercy Kill (Mentioned only) (As "fleet admiral")
- Imperial Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (As "fleet admiral")
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game
- Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Encyclopedia (Under Admiral Griff)
- A Campaign Guide to the Centrality"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 4 (OZZ1-OZZ2, Admiral Ozzel)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (Under Amise Griff, Admiral Bentro)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- Fleet Admiral on Wikipedia