A flight element, also known as a wingpair, was the smallest and most basic unit within a starfighter formation. Made up of two starfighters and their pilots, a flight element was the basic leader-wingmate arrangement that ensured the maximum chances of survival within a starfighter engagement. Two flight elements operating together formed a flight; rank among flight elements rarely mattered, as they would often switch positions while in combat.
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- "Alliance Intelligence Report: TIE Fighters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Price of Victory (Card: I'm With You) (Indirect mention only)