Flight helmets, also known as starfighter helmets, were part of the flight suit worn by pilots. There were many different helmet styles throughout the various factions that fielded pilots, but they all had several design elements in common, in particular a visor protecting the eyes.
The Republic era
Before the Clone Wars, the Galactic Republic had no central military. Various planets had their own forces; however, and some of those, such as Naboo, had starfighter corps. Royal Naboo Security Forces pilots had brown, leather-like helmets with visors. Early in the Clone Wars, clone pilots wore white helmets similar to Phase I clone trooper helmets, but with air tubes. By the time of ARC trooper CT-5555's escape from Tipoca City a new model of helmet for clone pilots had been introduced, and this helmet left some of their face exposed. This type of helmet was used by starfighter pilots like Clone Commander CC-2237 "Odd Ball" during the Battle of Coruscant and "Jag" during Order 66.
The Rebellion and Resistance
Pilots of the Rebel Alliance often wore the starbird symbol on their helmets. There were several different designs of Rebel flight helmet. X-wing and Y-wing pilots, during the early rebellion and Galactic Civil War, usually wore a rounded helmet with a chinstrap. A-wing and B-wing pilots, however, usually wore a different design with cheek pieces and no chinstrap. By the time of the Cold War thirty years later, the Resistance's X-wing pilots wore a helmet design that was an updated version of the type from the Galactic Civil War. In all cases, modified helmets were available for those whose species prevented them from fitting into human-standard helmets. Rylothian pilot Yendor had a custom helmet with holes for his lekku, and fellow Twi'lek Hera Syndulla wore a pilot's cap and custom visor.
The Empire and First Order
Imperial TIE pilots wore black helmets similar in design to those of stormtroopers. They had breathing tubes that connected to a control box worn on the chestplate of an atmospheric suit, as TIE fighters typically did not have fully pressurized cockpits. Some helmets had gray stripes. Thirty years later, the TIE pilots of the First Order's starfighter corps, in keeping with the mimicking of Imperial aesthetics, wore similar-looking black flight helmets, some with red stripes.
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 6 (Helmets: TIE Fighter Pilot; Weapons & Uniforms: The Imperial Fleet)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Databank A-Z: Poe Dameron–Delta 7-B; Helmets: Naboo Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 26 (Helmets: Y-wing Pilot)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 3 (Droid Directory: R2-series Astromech Droids, Part 2) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 31 (Helmets: Poe Dameron)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 51 (Helmets: The Grand Inquisitor)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 1 (Starfighter Aces: Luke Skywalker – Savior of the Rebel Alliance) (First identified as starfighter helmet)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 53 (Helmets: Nien Nunb)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 67 (Helmets: B-wing Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Helmets: General Merrick)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 72 (Helmets: Pilot/Training Helmet)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 75 (Helmets: A-wing Fighter Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Databank A-Z: Xev Xrexus–Yavin 4) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Search and Find Volume I
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 79 (Helmets: Jek Porkins)
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Practical"
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Fugitive"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars Rebels – "Wings of the Master"