The flute was a musical instrument of the woodwind family.
Unlike other woodwind instruments, a flute produced its sound from the flow of air against an edge, instead of using a reed. A musician who played the flute was generally referred to as a flutist.
Flute tones were sweet in character and blended well with other instruments. The flute's pitch, and various aspects of its timbre were flexible, allowing a very high degree of instantaneous expressive control.
A bes'bev was a traditional Mandalorian flute forged of beskar iron. The veteran Mandalorian soldier Wad'e Tay'haai owned an ancient bes'bev, painted the same dark violet color as the plates of his Mandalorian armor, which he carried on his belt. Tay'haai was a skilled bes'bev player, and knew how to play a number of songs including Vode An. In 19 BBY, at the home of his former Cuy'val Dar contemporary Kal Skirata, Tay'haai played for the Skirata clan, and encouraged Skirata's adopted son Bardan Jusik to give his bes'bev a try.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- Imperial Commando: 501st
- Coruscant Nights III: Patterns of Force (Mentioned only)
- Boba Fett: Hunted
- Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (First appearance)
- Ewoks 2: Rites of Power
- Ewoks—"The Cries of the Trees"
- Ewoks—"Sunstar vs. Shadowstone"
- Ewoks—"The Tragic Flute"
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
- "Escape from Balis-Baurgh"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- Planet of Twilight (Mentioned only)
- The Crystal Star
- Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers
Notes and referencesEdit
- Flute on Wikipedia