- "Did you know that Sith Lords could sometimes drain the Force energy from their captives? Siphoning life from them and using it to strengthen their connection to the dark side? Extending their own lives, as well, so that they could live for centuries beyond their intended expiration?"
- ―Yupe Tashu, to Wedge Antilles
Description[edit | edit source]
General usage[edit | edit source]
The draining of Force energy from an individual into oneself or another was an ability associated to the dark side of the Force and practised by various figures. This process consisted of the summoning of life energies from others by the practitioner, who then either absorbs it or passes it down to another individual, living or dead. The latter course of action revived the deceased body, yet this only occured in one instance on Mortis, the fulcrum of the galaxy and the Force.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Visible energy manifestated between the drained and the practitioner, yet this took different forms:
The Chosen One[edit | edit source]
Under the mentorship of the Father, the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker, placed himself as the physical vessel between the recipient, a dead Ahsoka Tano, and the drained, the Daughter, as the drained allows her life energy to be transferred through the Chosen One into the recipient. No suffering was expressed by any of the three parties, with only the light inherent to the Daughter fading away, Skywalker only experiencing a shock as he was brief illuminated with energy, and Ahsoka Tano returned to her living state.
Nightsister magick[edit | edit source]
Green-colored mist emmitted from Dooku's body initially, and at a later phase, the substance flowed from the Count's oral and nasal cavities, as the life force was forcefully taken by the Nightsister shaman Talzin from the spirit world, and the victim collapsed screaming in pain.
The abersyn queen[edit | edit source]
Sith Eternal[edit | edit source]
Under the use of the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, leader of the Sith Eternal cult, the act of Force drain allowed for the appearance of phantom white streams stemming from the chests of those being deprived of their life force and whirling into the palms of the practitioner. Those who suffered from this ritual found themselves greatly weakened, dying gradually.
History[edit | edit source]
Ancient Sith[edit | edit source]
According to the Imperial adviser Yupe Tashu, some Sith Lords of old drained Force energy from other individuals. By siphoning life from others, the ancient Sith strengthened their connection to the dark side of the Force and extend their own lives by centuries.
Mortis[edit | edit source]
- "Then let my daughter's last act… be to breathe light into your friend"
- ―The Father guides Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One, in transferring the essence of the Daughter into the fallen Ahsoka Tano
During the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order's championed Chosen One, the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, used this ability on a mission to Mortis. The Chosen One transferred the remainder of the dying Daughter's life force, the Force wielder being an embodiment of light, to revive a deceased and corrupted Ahsoka Tano.
Dathomir[edit | edit source]
- "You feel that, Count? Mother draws your very life force from your withered bones… draining you will give her all she needs to fully take form."
- ―Darth Maul to Count Dooku, as the latter succumbs to the Talzin's magick
Mother Talzin's spirit was able to emerge from a stone monolith to directly possess the Dark Lord of the Sith Count Dooku, allowing her to drain his life energy and regain her physical form in the process. The ritual was intended to restore Talzin's body permanently, although the witch was interrupted by the arrival of Darth Sidious and Grievous, who punctured her body with two lightsabers, reducing the Nightsister's physical form to dried husk and ending Talzin's life.
Ktath'atn[edit | edit source]
- "Oh, it has been too long since I last tasted Jedi."
- ―The Queen of Ktath'atn
Similarly, the Queen of Ktath'atn, a sapient abersyn symbiote who ruled her realm as its queen from a humanoid host body, could "feed" on others, empowering herself through mass-feeding from her human subjects in their sleep. This procedure was done on a Ktath'atn village some distance away from the Citadel of Ktath'atn, on a balcony of which the symbiote fed from. This Force-sensitive queen took particular pleasure from feeding on Jedi who were strong in the Force.
During the Galactic Civil War, this planetary sovereign welcomed guests into her citadel for only a day each year. On such an event, the Queen of Ktath'atn received strange life forms from throughout the galaxy in exchange for various favors and gifts given out to guests. Subsequent to this, the ruler then feeds upon the life forms.
Exegol[edit | edit source]
- "And now, the power of two restores the one… true… Emperor!"
- ―Darth Sidious, before draining Rey and Ben Solo
During the Battle of Exegol of the war between the First Order and the Resistance, the resurgent Darth Sidious drained Jedi Rey and Ben Solo of their Force energy to increase his strength, rejuvenating himself to a state of power comparable to his at the time of his triumph on Coruscant and his defeat over Endor.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Altar of Mortis" (First appearance)
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir 4 (First identified as draining)
- The Screaming Citadel 1 (First identified as feeding)
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath audiobook (Mentioned only)
- "A Life Immortal"—Dark Legends (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook