- "Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him."
"You mean it controls your actions?"
"Partially. But it also obeys your commands."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker
A Force power was, generally speaking, any ability that could be used by a Force-sensitive individual using the power of the Force. Some such abilities, such as enhanced reflexes and minor acts of precognition, could be accessed without conscious application. Others, such as telekinesis or a mind trick, required acts of will, though with training could be made to seem effortless. In certain cases, attempting to act consciously could actually hinder one's ability to draw upon the Force. Some abilities could only be accessed by those aligned with the light side of the Force, while still others were open only to those who practiced the dark side.
- "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."
- ―Darth Vader regarding the power of the Force.
A wide variety of abilities were open to those who were able to use the power of the Force. One such ability commonly used was telekinesis, the ability to move or otherwise manipulate on objects using only an application of the Force. Another well-known ability was the mind trick, a power that could be applied to actually influence the thoughts of another individual, often to the user's advantage. Force visions were a powerful and mysterious ability that sometimes occurred without conscious application in sleep, though such visions were not always reliable. Force users were also able to, both consciously and inherently through their connection to the Force, augment their own natural athleticism, allowing for speed, coordination and acrobatic maneuvers beyond natural limits. During his fight with Count Dooku, Yoda was able to absorb Force lightning which Count Dooku deflected. A mind probe was a Force power which allowed the user to search the thoughts of others. It was possible to resist this ability using the Force, and if the one resisting was powerful enough, one could turn the effects of the probe around and manage a look into the mind of the user. Some users of the Force could also use their power to sedate, as Qui-Gon Jinn demonstrated on Jar Jar Binks, or even to induce sleep and render a person unconscious, as Kylo Ren demonstrated on Rey.
Light side abilitiesEdit
- "All energy from the Living Force, from all things that have ever lived, feeds into the cosmic Force]], binding everything and communicating to us through the midi-chlorians. Because of this, I can speak to you now."
- ―The spirit of Qui-Gon Jinn, communing with Yoda
The ability to retain consciousness as Force spirit after death was a rare Force power known only to certain orders such as the Force Priestesses and a select few Jedi. Use of this ability required special training, but one who mastered could continue to have influence in the realm of the living even upon the death of their physical body.
Luke Skywalker displayed the ability to astral project across the galaxy, sending a lifelike image of himself to another planet. This projection was so realistic that Kylo Ren could not detect the deception until he tried and failed to strike Skywalker down with a lightsaber. However, the strain of creating such a projection proved to be fatal for Skywalker.
Dark side abilitiesEdit
- "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
- ―Sheev Palpatine
Users of the dark side of the Force, such as the Sith, drew upon feelings of hatred and anger, as well as thoughts of greater power, to make use of abilities not practiced by those such as the Jedi. Darth Plagueis was a powerful Sith Lord so skilled in the dark side of the Force that he was able manipulate midi-chlorians to create life itself.
- Revenge of the Sith: Episode III (LEGO Star Wars)
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ image #5 caption
- ↑ Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi