- "Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side."
"I won't let these visions come true, Master Yoda."
- ―Master Yoda and Anakin Skywalker.
Force visions were an aspect of the Force, an ability to see into the past and the future. An ability once possessed by all Jedi, in the final years of the Galactic Republic before its transformation into the Galactic Empire, it had grown rare. Some Sith, as Force users, were also capable of experiencing Force visions.
- "Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future... the past. Old friends long gone."
- ―Yoda tutors Luke Skywalker in the ways of the Force
Jedi Master Yoda was able to see into the future, though he understood that Force prophecy was not absolute and that the future was always in motion. His visions led him to foresee the fall of the Jedi in the Clone Wars and even his own death. Prior to the Clone Wars, the Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas had foreseen the galactic conflict, but his ideas of raising an army in defense of the Republic had been dismissed as too extreme.
Anakin Skywalker had extremely powerful Force visions in his dreams when asleep, and his visions were never known to be wrong. He foresaw the death of his mother following terrible torture by Tusken Raiders and was unable to stop it, and she died in his arms. Later, he witnessed through the Force his own wife's death in childbirth and was determined to prevent it happening. However, he neglected to remember the fact that such visions were not absolute; only that what he saw was what might happen. Skywalker fell to the dark side and became Darth Vader to try to prevent it, but instead he caused it to happen; when his wife discovered what he had done, she was horrified and wounded by her husband in his rage, subsequently dying for medically unexplainable reasons after delivering her children.
Depa Billaba was able to receive visions during meditation and to pass them on through touch to her Padawan, Caleb Dume. This gave her enough forewarning to fend off her clone trooper battalion long enough for Dume to evade Order 66. Dume was taught that visions were difficult and nearly impossible to interpret; one's emotions could cloud them and it took training and discipline to see things clearly. He later passed on these teachings to Ezra Bridger after his padawan misinterpreted his first vision.
Luke Skywalker had a vision on Hoth after he escaped from the cave of a wampa. In it, Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared and directed him to travel to Dagobah where he would find and learn the ways of the Force from Yoda. Once on Dagobah, he experienced another vision, of his friends suffering in a city in the clouds. His training incomplete, he rushed to aid his friends, ignoring the warnings of both Yoda and Kenobi, that such a decision was rash and that he needed further training.
Darth Sidious was able to use the dark side to peer into the future and manipulate events on a galactic scale to suit his ends. Despite this, he was unable to foresee his own end, when Darth Vader turned from the dark side to help his son Luke overthrow him.
The child of Leia Organa and Han Solo, Kylo Ren, who'd fallen from the light, began to experience Force visions after his assasination of Snoke, Supreme Leader of the First Order and found shards of archaic lore in Snoke's old bases of operations, leading him to discover a darker force was behind Snoke's power.
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Ghosts of Dathomir
- Star Wars: Destiny – Empire at War (Card: Force Vision)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Kanan 2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Vision of Hope"
- ↑ Age of Republic - Qui-Gon Jinn 1
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"
- ↑ Darth Maul 2
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: Destiny – Empire at War (Card: Force Vision)