- "General Gollin, the drones wiped out the remaining TIEs…and the Formidable was—"
- ―An Imperial captain, reporting to General Gollin
The Formidable was an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer used by the Imperial Navy during the Imperial Era. During bounty hunter Beilert Valance's hunt for Darth Vader, the Formidable was under the Sith Lord's command. Under Vader's control, the Star Destroyer arrived at the world Heva to engage Valance and his team of bounty hunters, but it was ultimately destroyed in the skirmish by bot-drones controlled by the slicer Chio Fain.
- "Scramble all fighters."
- ―Darth Vader, to an Imperial general
An Imperial II-class Star Destroyer, the Formidable measured 1,600 meters in length and was equipped with engines, a solar ionization reactor, two deflector shield generator domes, a communications tower, and a hangar. The Star Destroyer carried with it numerous TIE fighters, as well as Darth Vader's personal TIE Advanced x1.
- "We're all gonna die."
- ―Wef, upon seeing the Formidable
During the Imperial Era, the Formidable served in the Imperial Navy, under the command of the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader. At some point prior to the Battle of Hoth in 3 ABY, the cyborg Beilert Valance led a team of bounty hunters on a hunt for Vader, although team member Dengar was secretly an informant to the Sith Lord. After Dengar alerted Vader that Valance and his crew were on Heva, the Sith arrived at the world aboard the Formidable.
Upon spotting the Star Destroyer in the air, Valance and members of his team engaged the vessel aboard their cruiser, the Broken Wing. Meanwhile, on the Formidable, Vader ordered a general to deploy TIE fighters to engage the enemy ship, before departing himself to join the skirmish in his personal TIE Advanced x1. During the fight, Valance's slicer, Chio Fain, took control of a group of bot-drones—which the Empire had originally intended to use but abandoned due to their unstable technology—that the bounty hunters had acquired from the arms dealer Wef. Fain had the bot-drones ram into the Formidable's command tower, severing it, killing the Imperial general, and sending the vessel crashing into the ground below.
Following the skirmish, another Star Destroyer, under the command of General Gollin, arrived at Heva. An Imperial captain aboard the vessel reported the Formidable's destruction to the general, although she was already aware of the event.
Behind the scenes
The Formidable first appeared in the new Star Wars canon in the third issue of the 2019 comic-book miniseries Star Wars: Target Vader, which was written by Robbie Thompson, illustrated by Stefano Landini, and published by Marvel Comics on September 25, 2019. It was identified by name in the fourth issue, which was also written by Thompson and published on October 9, 2019.
Notes and references
- Target Vader 3
- Target Vader 3 establishes that the Formidable is an Imperial-class Star Destroyer, which measures 1,600 meters in length, according to .
- Target Vader 3 depicts the Formidable with what identifies as deflector shield generator domes, a solar ionization reactor, and a communications tower.
- Target Vader 4
- Star Wars: Target Vader is set before Empire Ascendant 1, which in turn takes place before the Battle of Hoth. Since Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the battle to 3 ABY, the events of Target Vader, including the hunt for Vader and the Formidable's appearance, must take place sometime prior.
- Target Vader 2
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide