The term fortress, or the more causal fort, usually referred to a rudely-constructed building used for army purposes, especially to one used by lower-end technological civilizations. More often, however, it was used to describe a heavily armored ground installation built on a battlefield or strategic location to act as a command center or palace. Some fortresses were used by the Separatist leader Nute Gunray during the Clone Wars on planets like Cato Neimoidia and other worlds. The installations were used by the Trade Federation, Gungans, Royal Naboo Security Forces, Wookiees, Galactic Republic, Confederacy, Galactic Empire, and the Rebel Alliance. Sand People received the name "Tusken Raiders" from Fort Tusken.
Fortresses were also constructed at the order of commander battle droid OOM-9 during the Invasion of Naboo in 32 BBY. These fortresses were also constructed in the city of Spinnaker. They were destroyed by elements of the Gungan Grand Army. Two more were destroyed in Harte Secur while the Gungan Grand Army liberated their fambaas from Camp Six.
One Imperial fortress was destroyed by the Wookiees and Rebel Alliance on the Avatar Orbital Platform, also killing Moff Darcc and Trandoshan slaver Pekt in the process, during the liberation of Kashyyyk. Another was also destroyed during the battle of Hanoon near the city of Magentic to free the city from Imperial control in exchange for the Vor'Na'Tu shard. Another Imperial fortress was present on Coruscant near the Imperial Palace, along with an airbase and war center.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne (Mentioned only)
- Knight Errant
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Fool's Bargain
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel (First appearance)