- "Remember Fray!"
- ―A rallying cry inspired by the memorial
Fray Landing Memorial was a memorial constructed by the Republic Military at the site of the Galactic Republic's Fray Landing Base on the Western Ice Shelf of the planet Ilum. It commemorated the lives lost at the base during the early days of the Battle of Ilum against the Sith Empire in 3640 BBY, when Imperial forces overran Fray Landing. Consisting of a torch sconce, the memorial was built by other Republic soldiers sometime before the Gree species took over the Western Ice Shelf in 3638 BBY. "Remember Fray" became a rallying cry among the Republic as the war continued, and the battle there helped Supreme Chancellor Leontyne Saresh secure a massive increase in military spending.
Behind the scenes
Fray Landing Memorial was introduced to the 2011 BioWare video game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, in 2013 with Game Update 1.7: Return of the Gree. The memorial is located at the former site of the Republic faction's player-vs-player (PvP) base on Ilum; Game Update 1.7 overhauled the Western Ice Shelf and removed the PvP zone from the base, renaming it to Fray Landing. In January 2012, the early days of PvP combat on the planet Ilum, combat imbalance between the two factions after Game Update 1.1 allowed Imperial players to repeatedly push all the way into the then-unnamed Republic base. Republic players were immediately killed by mobs of Imperials upon respawning in the base, necessitating an emergency patch to fix the issue.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia establishes that the Battle of Ilum, and the finale of the base game of Star Wars: The Old Republic, occurred in 3640 BBY.
- According to 2012 can be placed in 3639 BBY. Therefore, the events of Game Update 1.7: Return of the Gree, which was released in 2012, can be placed in 3639 BBY. , the events depicted in post-launch Game Updates released in
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex: "Fray Landing"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Return of the Gree