In the last decades of the Galactic Republic, the Free Trade Zones were untaxed trading areas within the territories controlled by the galaxy-spanning government. The Trade Federation often used them in their business.
Around 32 BBY, the Galactic Senate passed Prop 31-814D, making the Free Trade zones eligible for taxation. The Trade Federation retaliated by invading the remote planet of Naboo with its private droid force, secretly backed up and manipulated by a malevolent Dark Lord of the Sith named Darth Sidious.
- Queen's Peril (Indirect mention only)
- Queen's Peril audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin audiobook (Mentioned only)
- (First identified as Free Trade Zone)
- Rise of the Separatists
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy