- "There's nothin' I crave more next to a sandwich than a pile of these crispy little fellas. My old friend Freerago used to run a satellite diner that orbited Hosnian Prime. […] Somehow his kitchen droids managed to cook up the best plate of fritzle fries anywhere in the galaxy."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Fritzle Fries were a fried snack that was crispy, golden brown in color, and stick-shaped. Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs would have cravings for sandwiches with piles of the fries. According to Tuggs, the best in the galaxy were cooked by the kitchen droids at his old friend Freerago's satellite diner, Freerago's Satellite Diner and Motel, which orbited the planet Hosnian Prime.
Around 3 BBY, the human Han Solo consumed the fries along with other foods and beverages during a long, boring stakeout at the diner. The destruction of the Hosnian system by the First Order in 34 ABY was presumed to have ended the snack's availability from Freerago. Later that year, Tuggs included a recipe for Fritzle Fries in his cookbook The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook and recommended seasoning them with his Nerfsteak Seasoning, dipping them in emulsauce, or serving them as a side dish with his entrée Fried Endorian Tip-Yip.
Behind the scenes
Fritzle Fries first appeared in the 2018 novel Last Shot, written by Daniel José Older. They were first pictured with their recipe in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was written by Marc Sumerak and Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and published in 2019. The book classifies the out-of-universe recipe as meeting vegetarian and gluten-free dietary considerations. It uses the ingredients tapioca pearls, plain yogurt, warm water, parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper, and rice flour, along with an oil such as canola oil for frying.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First pictured)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Last Shot
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Hosnian Cataclysm to 34 ABY, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates Lando Calrissian and Han Solo's pursuit of Fyzen Gor, as seen in the "now" chapters of Last Shot, to twenty-seven years before the Hosnian Cataclysm, thus taking place in 7 ABY. As the events at Freerago's Satellite Diner and Motel in Last Shot occur "about ten years ago," they must take place around 3 BBY.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.