Fyrnocks were silicon-based creatures originally indigenous to the jungles of the planet Anaxes. Surviving the destruction of their homeworld, many fyrnocks inhabited the resulting Anaxes asteroid belt, including the asteroid PM-1203, which contained Fort Anaxes, a military base used by the Grand Army of the Republic during the Clone Wars. Fyrnocks were hurt by sunlight and could only live under the cover of darkness, in which they became fierce predators. However, they were immune to lights that were not solar-based. Fyrnocks were typically the size of a small humanoid, but at least one was known to grow much larger.
During the Battle of Anaxes, fyrnocks prowled around a campfire set up by Clone Force 99, CT-7567 "Rex," CC-2224 "Cody," CT-5597 "Jesse," and CT-6116 "Kix." Many years after the Clone Wars and the planet's destruction, Hera Syndulla and Sabine Wren encountered fyrnocks in the abandoned Fort Anaxes. Later, Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus and his apprentice Ezra Bridger returned to Fort Anaxes, hoping to lure the Grand Inquisitor into a trap. Using the Force, they were able to convince the Fyrnocks to attack the Inquisitor and his Imperial stormtroopers. While the fyrnocks were ultimately unable to defeat the Inquisitor, they did manage to take down several of the stormtroopers.
Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
Variations[edit | edit source]
At least one fyrnock was known to be many times the size of standard fyrnocks. This creature was far more dangerous than standard fyrnocks, being, in fact, the mother of all fyrnocks. Years after the Clone Wars, Jedi Padawan Ezra Bridger summoned this fyrnock, but had to tap into the power of the dark side to do so. The fyrnock put up a vicious fight against the Grand Inquisitor, buying Ezra and Kanan Jarrus necessary time to escape, but Ezra was briefly knocked unconscious and left shivering by the unexpected power of the dark side energy that he had summoned.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Fyrnocks first appeared in the Star Wars Rebels episode "Out of Darkness." According to the episode guide, they were originally to be named garcors, and then nockfyrs in the manner of bats. Series executive producer Dave Filoni suggested that the name's syllables be reversed to "fyrnock."
It is strongly implied in the episode guide for "Gathering Forces" that the powerful fyrnock summoned by Ezra is, in fact, the creatures' mother. This was confirmed in the title Ezra's Duel with Danger.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Bad Batch"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Out of Darkness" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Gathering Forces"
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Hera's Phantom Flight
- Star Wars Rebels: The Ultimate Guide
- Battle to the End (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron: Free Fall (Mentioned only)
- A Crash of Fate
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Creature Stall
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head (First mentioned)
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook (Appears as artwork)
- "Star Wars Rebels Recounted"—Star Wars Insider 156 (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power!
- Star Wars Rebels Look and Find
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III–Antilles)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Databank A-Z: First Order–Fyrnocks)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars: Alien Archive