G2-1B7 was a 2-1B surgical droid that belonged to Saw Gerrera, leader of the rebel Partisans. The droid was modified so that it could dispense drugs to Gerrera at what would normally be considered dangerous intervals and was baffled that he was still alive after inhaling near-lethal levels of Geonosian insecticide. In 0 BBY, G2-1B7 worked out of the Partisans' headquarters on the moon Jedha and was present when Gerrera was reunited with former ally Jyn Erso, shortly before their base was destroyed by the Galactic Empire's Death Star superweapon.
During the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, the 2-1B surgical droid G2-1B7 belonged to Saw Gerrera, leader of the Partisans rebel movement. The droid was tasked with the difficult primary objective of keeping Gerrera alive, as he had previously inhaled near-lethal levels of Geonosian insecticide, and much of his body had been replaced with cybernetics.
During its treatment of Gerrera, G2-1B7 worked out of the Partisans' base in the Catacombs of Cadera on the moon Jedha, where it was regularly deactivated in order to prevent it from building up an ethical case to stop Gerrera's treatment. The droid treated Gerrera and the other Partisans from a diagnostic station that included a refitted flight chair, a plethysmograph, and an analysis computer that tracked the purging of the insecticide from Gerrera's lungs.
In the year 0 BBY, G2-1B7 was present in Gerrera's quarters when he was reunited with his former ward, Jyn Erso. The droid stood stationary in a corner of the room while Gerrera showed Erso a holographic message from her father, Galen Erso. When the message ended, Erso and many of the Partisans were forced to flee the catacombs as they were destroyed by the shockwave of a blast from the Empire's Death Star superweapon, although Gerrera remained behind and perished.
G2-1B7 was a medical droid equipped with a 55VH Vocabulator and swappable servogrip pincers. G2-1B7 was modified so that it could dispense drugs at intervals that were too dangerous for a standard 2-1B droid's intrinsic programming to allow. It was also capable of formulating ethical cases based on the condition and treatment of its patients.
The droid did what it could to help its master, but was baffled as to how Saw Gerrera was still alive by the time of his reunion with Jyn Erso, and was usually amazed at his patient's will to survive. The droid noted Gerrera's grim determination as they prepared to face the deadly onslaught of the Death Star. Like all 2-1B surgical droids, G2-1B7 was manufactured by Industrial Automaton and stood 1.77 meters tall. It had white, yellow, and silver plating.
Behind the scenesEdit
G2-1B7 first appeared in the 2016 Anthology film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The droid was not identified in the film but received a designation in the accompanying reference book Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide, which was written by Pablo Hidalgo.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as G2-1B7)
- Ultimate Sticker Encyclopedia: Star Wars: Rogue One
- Star Wars: Where's the Wookiee? 2
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 72 (Droid Directory: Droids of NiJedha)
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars establishes that all 2-1B surgical droids were manufactured by Industrial Automaton. Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide further establishes that G2-1B7 is a 2-1B surgical droid.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Special: C-3PO 1 establishes that all medical droids are first class droids. Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide further establishes that G2-1B7 is a 2-1B surgical droid and therefore a first class droid as well.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded establishes that all 2-1B surgical droids stand 1.77 meters tall. Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide further establishes that G2-1B7 is a 2-1B surgical droid.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story to 0 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 72 (Droid Directory: Droids of NiJedha)
- ↑ Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z