GTAW-74, also known as "Geetaw", was a masculine GTAW welding droid that lived in Niima Outpost on the desert planet Jakku around thirty years after the Battle of Endor. As expert welding could turn a piece of salvage from unsaleable junk to a profitable find, he offered his services in Niima as a welder to scavengers in exchange for inert gas canisters, filler metals, good jokes, or a power recharge. The droid and his mechanical colleague EGL-21 could sometimes be spotted in the shade trading jokes that their customers had brought them. He was equipped with a plasma arc welder torch, brown plating and a shielded faceplate.
Behind the scenesEdit
GTAW-74 first appeared as a minor background character in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which was released in 2015. He was not identified in the film, but was named by Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, a reference book written by Pablo Hidalgo and released the same day as the film. Concept art of Geetaw under the title "Scrapyard Droid" was drawn by senior sculptor Luke Fisher during pre-production of the film in 2013.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as GTAW-74)
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z