Description[edit | edit source]
The Galaxies Opera House was located in the upper levels of the Uscru District, overlooking the levels below it. It had two, large arching entrances where speeders could unload their passengers. Within the entrances, steps led to the inside corridors wrapped around the main theater performance arena that was circular with seating areas on all sides. In the waning days of the Galactic Republic, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine maintained a private viewing box which had a premier view of the performance arena. As visiting the opera house was a chance for patrons to stand out from the crowd, they followed the philosophy that the more extravagant their clothing was the better, wearing luxurious cloaks, elaborate headdresses, bold prints, and form-fitting dresses.
History[edit | edit source]
Shortly after the Battle of Coruscant, the Mon Calamari play Squid Lake was performed at the Galaxies Opera House. Chancellor Palpatine attended the performance when he invited Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker to join him. Palpatine, secretly the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, told Skywalker the tale of Darth Plagueis and his attempts to cheat death. The story and Palpatine's manipulations were a major step in bringing Skywalker closer to the dark side of the Force.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "I got to play that great scene — and one of the best scenes I think George has written. I know he's often teased about his writing, but he surpassed himself in the scene at the opera...When the old monster finally nails it with Anakin and gets him over to the Dark Side"
- ―Ian McDiarmid on the Galaxies Opera House scene
The Galaxies Opera House first appeared in the 2005 film Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Ian McDiarmid stated that the Galaxies Opera House scene was one of his favorite scenes of the saga and one of the best scenes George Lucas had ever written in his opinion.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Queen's Shadow (Mentioned only)
- Queen's Shadow audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Revenge of the Sith Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 9
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Galaxies Opera House)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 16 (Weapons & Uniforms: Citizens of Coruscant)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 19 (Databank A-Z: GA-97–Geonosis)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Galactic Explorer's Guide
- (Picture only)
- (as Coruscant Opera House)