Gand were an insectoid sentient species native to the planet Gand that breathed ammonia, forcing them to wear respirators to survive in oxygen-rich atmospheres. A notable member of this species was Zuckuss, a bounty hunter who was one of the first traditional findsmen to leave his homeworld.
Biology and appearanceEdit
- "And what's with the stink? The place smells like a bantha pen."
"The gasses remind Zuckuss of his homeworld."
- ―Han Solo and 4-LOM
Gand were a stocky, three-fingered, two-toed insectoid sentient species with brown skin whose heads featured a pair of large, silver compound eyes. As the atmosphere of their homeworld of Gand was composed of ammonia, they were required to wear respirators over their mouths in order to breath in oxygen-rich environments.
Society and cultureEdit
- "The Gand should not leave Gand. It is not the way."
Some Gand were findsmen, a mystic tradition that dated back centuries on their fog-shrouded homeworld who were known for their uncanny tracking skills. The species spoke a language of the same name. It was against Gand tradition for them to leave their homeworld. If they spoke their last name, it often meant they were remotely ashamed.
Gand in the galaxyEdit
- "Something isn't right. Zuckuss can sense it."
"How many times must I remind you, Zuckuss? I deal with facts, not superstitious flim-flam."
- ―Zuckuss and 4-LOM
Originally from the planet of the same name located in the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories. Rinn was a Gand bounty hunter who took a job with Jango Fett sometime before the plot to assassinate Padmé Amidala. A Gand inhabited Nar Shaddaa, which was nicknamed the "Smuggler's Moon," during the Galactic Civil War, and another served aboard the starship Espirion Multi. A male Gand bounty hunter known as Zuckuss was one of the first findsmen to leave their homeworld when the tradition was dying out. Churkk was a Gand who left Gand at a young age before becoming stranded on Parnassos where he lived the rest of his life.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Gand species first appeared in the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back as the then-unnamed species of the bounty hunter Zuckuss. Portrayed by actress Catherine Monroe, the character's features were designed by Ralph McQuarrie and John Mollo, and the mask was crafted by Stuart Freeborn. The compound eyes of the mask were constructed with bubble wrap packing material, while the costume itself consisted of the full-head mask and attached cylinders that were filled with colored water, and the actress was instructed to blow air into the cylinders in order to create bubbles.
Zuckuss's species was first identified as Gand in Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, a 1989 Star Wars Legends supplement written by Michael Stern for Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. This name became canon when it was utilized in Zuckuss's entry in Ultimate Star Wars, a reference book co-written by Patricia Barr, Adam Bray, Daniel Wallace, and Ryder Windham that was released on April 28, 2015.
- Age of Republic - Jango Fett 1
- "Hunter vs Hunted"—Star Wars Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2018
- "Powered Down, Part I"—Star Wars Adventures 10
- "Powered Down, Part II"—Star Wars Adventures 11
- Princess Leia, Part V
- Star Wars 10: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part III
- Darth Vader 16: The Shu-Torun War, Part I
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran (Mentioned only)
- (Picture only)
- (Video clip only)
- (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Gand)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Phasma
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Age of Republic - Jango Fett 1
- ↑ Sideshow Collectibles. Zuckuss. Retrieved on November 30, 2016.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ Star Wars 10: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part III
- ↑ Princess Leia, Part V
- ↑ Interview with Catherine Munroe on Star Wars Aficionado (.pdf). Retrieved on October 11, 2010.
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars