After the discovery of Ryll, the Neimoidians acquired the distribution rights to the drug. The Porporites, a newly discovered species, quickly became addicted to ryll, whipping them into a homicidal frenzy. The Galactic Republic attempted to stop the Porporites by sending the Jedi Knights and conventional military, but they withstood everything the Republic used. Terrified for their safety (and their product), the Neimoidians hired several Gank mercenaries to protect them. Sadly, the Ganks decided that the best course of action was to exterminate the Porporites. After that, the Ganks embarked on a full scale war against the Republic. Supreme Chancellor Vocatara was forced to commission the building of Juggernaut war droids to end the fighting.
The massacres also saw the first use of the modern lightsabers, independent of the power packs used during the Great Hyperspace War some two centuries earlier. Also, the Republic rocket-jumpers were part of the Republic forces that participated in the conflict.
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith audio drama (Mentioned only)
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 3: Descent to the Dark Side (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Codex entry)
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 2"—Star Wars Insider 27
- The New Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game Revised Core Rulebook
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy at War
- Lords of Nal Hutta (Under Ganks)