The gaping spider was an arachnid creature native to the planet Dathomir. They were large creatures that inhabited the many caves and warrens on their home world. It was known that the Nightsisters known as the Spiderclan took control over one particular cavern and forced the young spiders to serve them. Only the larger adults managed to resist their will and resulted in the Spiderclan to fear those adults that lived deep underground. Different castes included broodling, hunter, recluse, and queen.
After the Battle of Yavin, Doctor Maldien conducted illegal and highly dangerous bioengineering experiments in a laboratory on Corellia to create very aggressive and intelligent creatures. This included engineered gaping spiders.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- "Gamescape"—Star Wars Insider 72
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Beast Attack)