- "As Garen would say, piece of sweetcake."
- ―Siri Tachi
A Force-sensitive Human, Garen Muln was brought to the Coruscant Jedi Temple at an early age where he entered a clan of other Initiates and was taught the ways of the Force. A restless adolescent, Muln was a contemporary of Obi-Wan Kenobi and maintained a good friendship despite arguing over trivial things. When a dark sider infiltrated the Temple in 44 BBY, Initiate Muln worked to thwart the intruder by disguising himself as Padawan Kenobi to help throw off the intruder's plan. While Muln and Master Ali-Alann posed as Kenobi and Master Qui-Gon Jinn, the pair were able to capture the Dark Jedi and protect the Temple from destruction.
Selected by Jedi Master Clee Rhara as a Padawan circa 42 BBY, the two continued to train as a Jedi as they traveled across the galaxy. Eventually passing his Trials of Knighthood, Jedi Muln went onto train as a ace in the Jedi Starfighter Corps, aiding his former master establish a starfighter base on Centax 2 during the Separatist Crisis which plagued the Galactic Senate.
In the following years, Jedi Muln took on several missions, pairing with his childhood acquaintance Jedi Siri Tachi on a rescue mission to save Padawan Anakin Skywalker from the clutches of the derange scientist Jenna Zan Arbor's laboratory on Vanqor. Soon after, Muln accompanied Master of the Order Mace Windu and his long time friend Bant Eerin to the planet Romin where they rescued Jedi Kenobi, Tachi and Padawans Skywalker and Ferus Olin, once more from death at the hands of Zan Arbor and the dangerous Granta Omega.
When the Clone Wars erupted across the galaxy between the Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, Jedi Muln took up the rank of General within the Grand Army of the Republic, adding his lightsaber to the war effort against the Separatist Droid Army. Obtaining the rank of Jedi Master by the time of the final year of the war, Master Muln was assigned to lead a small group of clone troopers against the Confederacy occupation on the world of Acherin. While there, Master Muln negotiated with Confederate commanders Toma and Raina Quill in hopes of reaching a truce.
As the negotiators began to reach an agreement, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine of the Republic betrayed the Jedi Order and issued Contingency Order 66 to the Grand Army, branding the Order as traitors. Able to escape his clone troopers' wrath, Muln escaped the world with the help of Commanders Toma and Quill, his former opponents.
- "Can I get you anything?"
"Just don't bring me a mirror. I can see on your face how bad it is."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Garen Muln en route to a hidden asteroid
Having fled Acherin, an injured and weary Master Muln piloted his craft to the Jedi fortress world of Ilum and take refuge from the frozen wastes in the Temple there. Ensconced within the frozen temple, Master Muln met another Jedi, Temple instructor Fy-Tor-Ana. Master Ana detailed the destruction of the Temple on Coruscant and the death of the Order before she left Ilum to go seek out survivors of the Great Jedi Purge.
Remaining in the Temple's caves for nearly a year, Muln was weakened from malnutrition by the time former Padawan Ferus Olin arrived in search of him. Informing Master Muln that his old friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi was alive and in exile also, Olin managed to convince Muln to leave the world and embark on another mission. Reuniting with Master Kenobi in orbit, Muln was too weak to talk with his friend during the journey to Olin's secret asteroid. Olin planned on converting the asteroid's barren surface into a makeshift sanctuary for fugitive Jedi, starting with Muln. Once safe in the asteroid's interior, Master Muln was healed by an old acquaintance, Commander Quill, who was also with Toma.
Recovering slowly, Master Muln found himself useful once more when he took over the training of the young Lune Oddo Divinian, a Force-sensitive boy whose training was started by Master Ry-Gaul. Taking over the training, Muln instilled in Divinian the virtues of the Jedi Path while remaining on the asteroid.
The solace that the group of exiles had found on the asteroid would be shattered too soon when Dark Lord of the Sith and servant of the Galactic Empire Darth Vader located the base and attacked. Led there by information leaked by General Toma and a spy, Eve Yarrow, whom the group had trusted, the Jedi were stranded with nothing more than an escape pod. Master Muln, joined by Masters Ana and Ry-Gaul, loaded Lune Divinian into the pod and managed to get him off world before the attack could claim his life. Accepting that the hope of the Jedi would lay on the shoulders of younglings like Divinian, the three Masters accepted their fates as Jedi when Vader fired upon the asteroid with his superweapon, killing them.
- Jedi Apprentice: The Rising Force (First appearance)
- Jedi Apprentice: The Captive Temple
- Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: Deceptions
- Jedi Quest: The Moment of Truth
- Jedi Quest: The Changing of the Guard
- Secrets of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: The Desperate Mission (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: Dark Warning
- The Last of the Jedi: Underworld (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: Death on Naboo (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: A Tangled Web (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: Return of the Dark Side
- The Last of the Jedi: Secret Weapon
- The Last of the Jedi: Against the Empire (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: Master of Deception (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: Reckoning
- Rebel Force: Hostage (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Force: Firefight (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Force: Trapped (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Essential Reader's Companion
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Last of the Jedi: Reckoning
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Jedi Apprentice: The Rising Force
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Last of the Jedi: Secret Weapon
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Jedi Apprentice: The Death of Hope
- ↑ Jedi Apprentice: The Captive Temple
- ↑ Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: Deceptions
- ↑ Jedi Quest: The Moment of Truth
- ↑ Jedi Quest: The Changing of the Guard
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 The Last of the Jedi: Dark Warning