- "This is where I belong. I gave my life to this Empire. Fought to keep it strong."
- ―Garrick Versio to his daughter, Iden
Garrick Versio was a human male who held the title of Inspector General and later the military rank of admiral in the Imperial Security Bureau, a law enforcement and intelligence agency of the Galactic Empire. He and his wife Zeehay had a daughter named Iden before divorcing when Iden was five years old. It was Versio who brought the planet Vardos into the Empire, and as a result was known as the "Hero of Vardos" and had a statue dedicated to him outside of the Archive.
Prior to his promotion to admiral, Garrick Versio served as an Inspector General in the secretive Imperial Security Bureau. Convinced that Imperial strength was necessary to maintain order in the galaxy, Admiral Versio extended that conviction into his relationship with his daughter, mercilessly pushing her and constantly testing her limits. Eventually, Iden became the commander of Inferno Squad, an Imperial Special Forces commando unit assembled by Garrick, which included Agents Gideon Hask, Del Meeko, and Seyn Marana, in response to the destruction of the Death Star. He first tasked them in infiltrate and destroy the Dreamers, a mission that resulted in an Imperial victory though saw the death of Marana.
The Battle of EndorEdit
- "The Emperor's Plan must not fail."
- ―Admiral Garrick Versio, to Commander Iden Versio
Garrick commanded the Star Destroyer Eviscerator and partook at the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, witnessing the death of Admiral Firmus Piett, whom he called a fool after the Super Star Destroyer Executor crashed into the second Death Star and was destroyed. Shortly afterwards, the second Death Star exploded, destroyed by the attacking Rebel forces. Admiral Rae Sloane, the highest ranking commanding officer to survive the battle, ordered for a full retreat. Garrick and the Eviscerator waited for Inferno Squad to evacuate Endor.
- "Operation: Cinder is the last command of Our Emperor, and the first step in securing our future. Inferno is crucial to its success."
- ―Admiral Garrick Versio, to Commander Iden Versio on Operation: Cinder
Above Vardos, Garrick confirmed the death of Emperor Palpatine to his daughter aboard the Eviscerator and shared with her the Messenger droid he received, which communicated the final orders of the Emperor: to begin Operation: Cinder at once. He sent Iden and Inferno Squad to Fondor to protect Moff Raythe, who transported satellites crucial to Operation: Cinder aboard his Star Destroyer Dauntless. Though a battle erupted at the Imperial shipyards above Fondor when Rebel Alliance forces attempted to hijack the ship, they were eventually destroyed, and Operation: Cinder was secured.
Moff Raythe's satellites and the Dauntless were in fact sent to target the loyal Imperial world of Vardos itself. Despite the planet being his own homeworld and teeming with Imperial loyalists, Garrick ordered the satellites turned online per the posthumous order of the Emperor, and commanded his daughter to extract Protectorate Gleb. However, during the mission, Iden and Meeko went rogue after deciding that it was not moral to leave loyal Imperial citizens to die. They escaped aboard the Corvus with their crew and some survivors, but Hask turned on them and returned to Garrick with Protectorate Gleb and her agent, prompting Garrick to promote Hask to Commander.
Garrick went on to run operations on Bespin and Sullust, procuring fuel and weapons for the shattering Empire, while he and Hask were hunted down by Iden and Meeko, now members of Inferno Squad in the New Republic. At some point in the final year of the Galactic Civil War, Garrick fell under the command of Counselor Gallius Rax, who was secretly in charge of executing the clandestine Contingency, and partook in the Battle of Jakku.
Battle of Jakku and deathEdit
- "You saw the Empire's weakness and refused to let it consume you. It made you stronger. That's why you're leaving here without me....You deserve to live in peace. Go. Survive. Live."
- ―Garrick Versio's final words to his daughter, Iden
As commanded by Counselor Rax, Admiral Versio went aboard the Eviscerator to the Battle of Jakku. During the battle, however, the Eviscerator was badly damaged in the battle and soon began to lose integrity; as it burnt in the skies of Jakku, Iden made an attempt to rescue her father after shooting down Hask. Though Rax also intended for Garrick to leave, he declined his daughter's rescue attempt. Looking out over the battle and his rapidly disintegrating starship, Garrick bitterly lamented having dedicated his entire life to an Empire which was indeed weak and flawed whilst Iden tried to convince him to leave. In their final moments together, he made peace with his daughter and urged her to leave and live a good life, something which he did not regard himself worthy of. Iden reluctantly left him on the bridge and evacuated in an escape pod, while Garrick remained on the Eviscerator as it crashed onto the sandy deserts of Jakku, perishing in the collision.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First pictured)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (First appearance)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad audiobook
- Resistance Reborn (Mentioned only)
- Resistance Reborn audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Jakku to 5 ABY.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Meet the Hero of Star Wars Battlefront II. Electronic Arts. Retrieved on July 17, 2017.
- ↑ Resistance Reborn
- We've Finally Seen A Campaign Mission From Star Wars: Battlefront II. Kotaku. Retrieved on June 11, 2017.