- "Bespin is a gas giant, which means we have no oceans or lakes."
- ―Jude Edivon
Gas giants were large and massive planets composed chiefly of various gases. They had no solid, well-defined surface, which rendered them uninhabitable in themselves, but at least some of them had a large number of moons. Typically, gas giants harbored little life unless their atmosphere comprised a layer capable of supporting oxygen-breathing species. Atmospheres such as these could also harbor turbulent storms within, such as the case with the planet Wynkahthu. Another characteristic of those worlds was the presence of planetary rings made up of several million pieces of debris. In some cases, those debris were rocky in nature and rich in ore.
Due to their significant masses, such planets had gravity wells that created distinct, if minor, hazards for hyperspace travel. Under certain circumstances, a particularly enormous gas giant could become a star in its own right.
Bespin, Endor, Jestefad, Lefrani, Galaan, Hudalla, Noctu, Pujool, Golus, and Yavin were all gas giants. The feature that distinguished Bespin from most of its sister planets was the existence of its oxygen-rich Life Zone, which possessed an unusual abundance of life forms.
- "Classic Moment: Lando's Second Surprise"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Before the Awakening
- ↑ The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- ↑ Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Lords of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Lost Stars
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Adventures in Wild Space: The Dark
- ↑ Star Wars: Uprising
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End