Biography[edit | edit source]
- "Wow, look at that! It's the galaxy-famous Gasgano in his custom Ord Pedrovia."
- ―Commentator Fode spots Gasgano
Easily ranking among the most famous podracer pilots in the galaxy, Gasgano was one of the deadliest fiends on the track, if one was able to anger him. Otherwise, he would just pass other participants, focused on reaching the finish line first rather than destroying other racers' pods (a method favored by Sebulba). Gasgano's custom-built Ord Pedrovia placed a heavy emphasis on acceleration, helping him take the lead in the critical early seconds of a Podrace.
The Xexto had little patience for Humans and often condemned lesser pilot Anakin Skywalker as a rookie wannabe, while at the same time being impressed that the Human boy had ever dared to strap himself into a Pod in the first place. Gasgano was championed by Gardulla Besadii the Elder, although she was far from the only spectator who bet on him; many predicted Gasgano would overtake Sebulba in the Boonta Eve Classic. Placed prominently on the grid, the Xexto took a good start when Jabba the Hutt gave the kickoff, and managed to stay in the front runners throughout the race. While Gasgano placed second behind Anakin in this race, Sebulba's defeat and subsequent temporary loss of dignity provided the Xexto with an excellent chance to further his own career as a Podracer. Although Gasgano has a reputation as an intellectual, he got drunk in the nearest cantina to celebrate his victory. However, not bothering to rest from his partial victory in the Boonta, the competitive Gasgano quickly moved on to other races, and soon became the favorite pilot on the barren Podracing moon of Oovo IV.
During the Galactic Games of 26 BBY, and among several other contestants of an illegal Caves race on the planet Euceron (including Ody Mandrell, Aldar Beedo, Elan Mak, Will Neluenf, and 14-year-old Jedi Padawan Anakin Skywalker), Gasgano unfortunately got tangled up with "Scorch" Zanales, and the two racers crashed their pods. Skywalker won the race on behalf of the children of Ratts Tyerell—Deland and Doby, whose podracer Anakin piloted to free their sister-slave Djulla from the clutches of her master, Sebulba (whose son, Hekula, took second place).
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Gasgano's appearance in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace marked the introduction of the Xexto species to the saga. The conceptual maquette of Gasgano was designed by Richard Mills and Robert E. Barnes, and his appearance in the film was computer generated.
It is possible that Gasgano was one of the individuals present around the time of Luke Skywalker's meeting with Han Solo in Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina. Although not seen in the movie, Star Wars: Complete Locations points out a "multifingered former podracer, now a deft pickpocket" that can be located inside the cantina. It may be another Xexto podracer, but no other Xexto podracers have been officially named.
Gasgano, who was normally calm and cool, turned into a bar brawler when he had too much to drink.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Episode I Adventures 5: The Ghostling Children (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I Racer
- Podracing Tales
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace ½
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace comic
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Anakin Skywalker
- Star Wars: Jar Jar's Journey
- Star Wars: Yoda's Challenge Activity Center (Appears in a picture)
- Jedi Quest: The Dangerous Games
- Star Wars: Racer Revenge
- Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth (Mentioned only)
- Boba Fett: Hunted (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I toy line
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- "Around the Galaxy: At Long Last, TOYS!"—Star Wars Galaxy Collector 6
- "Around the Galaxy: The Art of the Game"—Star Wars Galaxy Collector 6
- Star Wars: Episode I Podracer Punch-Outs
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 26 (POD1, Podracer Pilots)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 51 (POD9-10, Gasgano's Podracer)
- Star Wars Fandex Deluxe Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Gasgano (★))
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Gasgano (★★★★))
- "Podracing 101!"—Star Wars Magazine 2