A member of the New Republic, Gatalenta was represented in the Galactic Senate for over twenty years by Senator Tai-Lin Garr. New Republic pilot Joph Seastriker also came from Gatalenta, as did Resistance Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo. Due to the country's strong Jedi tradition, Gatalenta became one of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker's first destinations when he began studying the history of the Jedi Order.
Society and cultureEdit
- "On Gatalenta we try to lead the life of the mind, and in our culture intentions can have great influence; we discuss them, judge by them."
- ―Amilyn Holdo
They widely practised skyfaring, a form of calisthenics exercise involving the use of scarves to climb wooden scaffolding and suspend themselves in midair, and had a purpose-built skyfaring room within the Gatalentan senatorial complex on Coruscant. Advanced practioners of skyfaring were able to meditate in place, "unmoored to the ground," and so enhance their spiritual well-being and that of those around them. Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta, and crying openly was considered a virtue and proof of a caring heart.
Gatelenta was ruled by the Council of Mothers. Slavery was illegal on the planet, and slaves were not allowed to be brought to the planet. If a slave was brought there, and their master was caught, the slave was set free. The Gatalentan people were known for living austerely, wearing only pale grey or white clothing, the only colorful parts of their attire being traditional scarlet cloaks. In the years before the Galactic Civil War, Gatalenta had a strong Jedi tradition, and the old Jedi legends remained alive on Gatalenta in spite of the Jedi Purge.
- Master & Apprentice (Mentioned only)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Mentioned only)
- Leia Organa: Ordeal of the Princess (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (First mentioned)
- Bloodline audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Mentioned only)