- "Load 'em up."
- ―Pre Vizsla orders his soldiers to bring Maul and Savage Oppress aboard the Gauntlet
The Gauntlet was a Kom'rk-class fighter that was used by the leader of the Death Watch, Pre Vizsla, during the Clone Wars. Vizsla used the starfighter to travel to various locations when recruiting crime syndicates into the Shadow Collective, an alliance that began between him and the Dathomirian brothers Maul and Savage Opress. After Vizsla's death and Death Watch's dissolution, the ship was used by Bo-Katan Kryze, leader of the Nite Owls, during her search for allies who would help liberate her people's homeworld, Mandalore. Accompanied by two other Nite Owls, Kryze used the ship when pursuing Ahsoka Tano, a former Jedi.
As a Kom'rk-class fighter, the Gauntlet was equipped with a Class 1 hyperdrive, four engines and four laser cannons, two mounted on its nose, and two on the rear. The ship could be crewed by two pilots, and measured 68 meters in length. Like other ships in its class, the Gauntlet could reach a top speed of 1,000 kph.
Service under Pre VizslaEdit
- "Dispose of them. Keep their ships and weapons."
- ―Xomit Grunseit orders his men to apprehend the Collective's ships, including the Gauntlet
During the Clone Wars, the Gauntlet was used by Pre Vizsla, leader of the Mandalorian splinter group, the Death Watch. In 19 BBY, Vizsla and the Death Watch encountered a drifting escape pod in space while aboard the Gauntlet, which was being escorted by two other Kom'rk-class fighters. Within the pod, the soldiers discovered the unconscious Dathomirian brothers Maul and Savage Opress, who were subsequently loaded into the Gauntlet, as Vizsla wished to learn their stories. Following the encounter, the three ships returned to the Death Watch camp on the swamp moon Zanbar. After Maul and Opress joined forces with Vizsla at the camp, the group traveled to the volcanic planet of Mustafar aboard the Gauntlet. After recruiting Black Sun criminal syndicate into their alliance, the Shadow Collective, they returned to Zanbar.
After the Pyke Syndicate joined the alliance, Vizsla, Maul, and Opress boarded the starfighter and traveled to the planet Nal Hutta in an attempt to persuade the Hutt Clan criminal syndicate to join them. After failing to convince them, Vizsla took the Gauntlet and his forces to the desert planet Tatooine and attacked the palace of the crime lord Jabba Desilijic Tiure, forcing the Hutts into joining the Collective. With the Shadow Collective fully assembled, Vizsla and the group traveled to the homeworld of the Mandalorians, Mandalore, and entered its capital city, Sundari, after planning its takeover. While leaving the city aboard the Gauntlet, Vizsla contacted Maul via hologram. The Dathomirian informed him that it was time to begin the next stage of their plan, which was to have the Collective to wreak havoc on Sundari while the Death Watch, posing as rescuers, arrived and protected the city from attack.
Service under Bo-Katan KryzeEdit
- "I need your help. Once we are underway I will explain everything."
- ―Kryze asks Ahsoka Tano to join the Nite Owls aboard the Gauntlet
Following the death of Vizsla at Maul's hands, the Death Watch was dissolved and Mandalore fell under the rule of the Dathomirian. Consequently, Bo-Katan Kryze, leader of the Nite Owls and a former member of the Death Watch, took refuge aboard the Gauntlet alongside Ursa Wren and another Nite Owl. They searched for potential allies to join them and help liberate their planet from Maul's control.
During the trio's pursuit of former Jedi Ahsoka Tano, Kryze piloted the starfighter and departed the planet Oba Diah, tailing the Nebula-class freighter Silver Angel, a ship that Tano traveled aboard. They followed the freighter to Level 1313 on the Core Worlds planet Coruscant, where Kryze met Tano and requested her assistance. When the former Jedi agreed to help the Nite Owl, they boarded the Gauntlet and departed Level 1313.
Commanders and crewEdit
- "The people are beginning to follow you. It is time for Death Watch to take action. Make sure you put on a good show."
- ―Maul commands Vizsla via hologram as the Mandalorian travels in the Gauntlet
The Gauntlet was utilized by Vizsla during the Clone Wars. Accompanied by Maul and Opress, he used the fighter when traveling to various locations when recruiting crime syndicates into the Shadow Collective. Two members of the Death Watch piloted the Gauntlet when it departed Sundari, while Vizsla, who stood in the back of the ship, spoke with Maul. Following Maul's takeover of Mandalore, Kryze gained possession of the ship. She took refuge aboard the Gauntlet alongside Wren and another Nite Owl during their search for allies willing to help them liberate Mandalore.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Gauntlet was first identified as Pre Vizsla's ship in the concept art gallery for "The Mandalore Plot," the twelfth episode of the the television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars's second season that aired on January 29, 2010. However, Vizsla is not seen boarding or exiting a Kom'rk-class fighter until "Eminence," which aired on January 19, 2013. Based on the concept art, this article assumes that anytime Vizsla boards or exits a Kom'rk-class fighter, he is interacting with the Gauntlet. For the episode "Together Again," concept art of the ship was drawn by Jason Boesch.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Together Again"
- (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Together Again"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 The episode "Eminence" establishes that the Gauntlet is a Kom'rk-class fighter, which measures 68 meters in length, has a maximum speed of 1,000 kph, and is equipped with a Class 1 hyperdrive, according to Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of "Eminence" and "Shades of Reason" to 19 BBY.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5 Episode 14: Eminence. tv.com (2013-01-13). Archived from the original on April 16, 2020. Retrieved on April 15, 2020.