Description[edit | edit source]
- "We've filed a complaint with the Imperial Research Division for carrying out class 5 biological experiments on an inhabited world, but I think it's going to be a long time before we see anything come of that."
- ―Agent Taarna, to a spacer
The GeneTech Syndicate was present on Talus during the Galactic Civil War. It was known known to have an intermittent business relationship with the Galactic Empire. The company owned a laboratory, located just outside the city of Dearic. Although it was listed as engaging in legitimate genetic manipulation on animals, the GeneTech Syndicate used this lab to conduct illegal experiments.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Now that you have confirmed this as the site of the original experiment, we can conclude the queen might still be here. I need you to do a few things for me first; you must destroy all information regarding project 'Parasophic Arachne', you must destroy any of the eggs that you find, and you must kill all the creatures in the lab."
- ―Agent Taarna, to a spacer
By the time of the Battle of Yavin, the GeneTech Syndicate conducted an illegal and dangerous bioengineering project in its Talusian lab. Dubbed Parasophic Arachne program, the objective was to create an intelligent and powerful form of arachnes for the use of the Empire.
The scientists of the Parasophic Arachne successfully managed to bioengineer deadly and intelligent creatures. Nevertheless, the arachnes finally overwhelmed their creators and slaughtered most of the staff of the GeneTech Syndicate Lab. All the surviving scientists quickly fled and went into hiding to avoid being charged with illegal biological experiments by the CorSec. Jana T'bayr was the sole scientist to remain in the lab. She initially wanted to save the project but she then tried to find a way to prevent the parasophic arachnes from destroying the planet Talus.
The Parasophic Arachne program was exposed after a ship carrying several engineered arachnes crashed in the Talusian mountains near Nashal, circa 1 ABY. CorSec Agent Taarna dispatched a spacer to investigate the crash site and rescue any survivors. However, the spacer discovered that Captain Narl and all the other survivors were killed while trying to prevent the arachnes from escaping in the wilderness.
The CorSec later traced the flight trajectory of the crashed ship and found that it took off from Dearic. A CorSec scout team then discovered that the GeneTech Syndicate Lab was undergoing an emergency evacuation. Agent Taarna recruited spacers who headed to the lab and discovered that the building was completely overwhelmed by the bioengineered creatures. The spacers first located the directory terminal and downloaded evidences and details about the project known as Parasophic Arachne. Taarna therefore ordered his CorSec crew to clear the lab. With the help of 6-POC, the project manager's protocol droid, the spacers managed to delete all scientific data that could be used to restart the program. They also retrieved a self-destruct intron virus, a virus designed specifically by the GeneTech Syndicate scientists to kill the arachnes. The spacers applied this virus to every arachne eggs they found in the lab. The CorSec crew later eliminated the arachne queen, the huge arachne responsible for breeding the parasophic arachne species. Eventually, the spacers destroyed the queen's mate, the largest and strongest bioengineered arachne. The destruction of all the breeding arachnes and eggs definitely eliminated the Parasophic Arachne threat.
After the planet Talus was saved from the bioenineered arachnes, the CorSec targeted the escaped Genetech Syndicate scientists. The CorSec also filed a complaint with the Imperial Research Division against the GeneTech Syndicate for carrying out class 5 biological experiments on an inhabited world. Nevertheless, Agent Taarna was very pessimistic about the chances of success of this investigation.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The GeneTech Syndicate appeared in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. The GeneTech Syndicate was added to the game as part of the "Deifying Decisions" arcs with the release of "Chapter 2: The Talus Incident", on August 1, 2006.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Legacy Quest: "Genocide" on Talus
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Legacy Quest: "Grim Discovery" on Talus
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Legacy Quest: "Adaptive Biology" on Talus
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Legacy Quest: "Rescue Operation" on Talus
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Legacy Quest: "A Better Life Through Genetics" on Talus
- Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit—Legacy Quest: "Find the Source" on Talus