The Geonosian sonic blaster was a powerful, hand-held blaster incorporating sonic wave technology developed by the Gordarl Weaponsmiths. These weapons were used by Geonosians, and saw increased use during the Clone Wars.
The weapon was a little longer than a meter and consisted of seven parts; a grip, an aiming vane, an emitter cowl, an oscillation chamber, a reduction chamber, a plasma containment charge chamber and a trigger. The sonic blaster was designed to be used only by Geonosians, by making the trigger oddly placed and hard for non-Geonosians to hold, let alone fire.
The weapon's projectile, similar in function to its larger cousin, the LR1K sonic cannon, consisted of a sphere of condensed sonic energy, encapsulated within a containment sphere. Upon rupture of the containment field - which could be caused by any energy or solid based interference with the field - the sphere would explode in a contained omnidirectional blast, and if hit directly onto a living organism like the Jedi in the First Battle of Geonosis, would cause instant death by rupturing the victim's internal organs. Nevertheless, the sphere could cause severe damage to inanimate targets as well, the intense sonic energy many times simply causing a target to explode, or similarly rupture.
Long before the rise of the Galactic Empire, Geonosian weaponsmiths explored sonic wave theory. Eventually, they built basic generators that could convert sonic vibrations into other forms of energy. Geonosian miners soon came up with sonic hammers, whose basic premise was later evolved into sonic blaster weaponry.
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- "The Lesson"—Star Wars Tales 14
- "Death in the Catacombs"—Star Wars Insider 79
- Boba Fett: Crossfire
- Republic 67
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders" (In flashback(s))
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia